Media

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackgoff

Is there too much media ie;

Instagram

Twitter

Facebook

Tumblr

And some more...

And are we too rampantly reliant on the recorded image' nowadsys ? - is it that much of a big deal taking a picture ???

Is anything sacredly secret now or has integrity gone out the window... along with decency...

jhawk

Veteran
Social media can be both a blessing and a curse.

When used for good things, social media is perhaps the most powerful tool in the world. Social movements (#BlackLivesMatter, #BringBackOurGirls, are just two examples), awareness campaigns (#FreeRaifBadawi, for example), watchdog-esque behaviour (recording of police brutalities, for example), are some of the best instances of social media being used for good.

The instances in which social media is used for awful things are plentiful as well - vigilante justice, executed because of a rumour started on social media, or the spread of misinformation, is one example. It also provides a vehicle for people's anger and a platform for them to parade their ignorance in some cases.

I only use Facebook regularly, Twitter sort-of-regularly, and Instagram and Google Plus less-sparingly, I don't have a Tumblr account, or any other form of social media (FourSquare, etc).

In short, it is what you make of it. You can choose to use it however you please.

Though none of this addresses your question, so I'll try and do that. And the answer to the first question is largely, "It depends." It depends on whether or not the picture, or video, in question is that of a man being shot by a police officer as he was running away, that of police officers choking a man to death, that of Raif Badawi who was being 'lashed' for the awful crime of being a writer and an activist and criticising Islam in Saudi Arabia. In that case, the video brought to light the horrors of the Saudi Arabian regime. In that case, then it is a very big deal.

To your second point, things are sacred and secret if you choose them to be so. Decency and integrity are still there. It really comes back to how one uses social media.

Stevec047

Über Member
As a marketing manager for a small firm I use social media to target our customers and it works well but find it rather frustrating in terms of payed ads etc just to get the engagement levels up.

On a personal level I find social media a blessing and a curse as has been stated before. I am not one who like to snope on other people's business but it does have its uses.

Social media is what you make it and having recently reduced my personal usage of such sites I have freed up so much more time to well spend on here . I do agree that the good old chating on the phone or meeting for a coffee has been left behind in favour of a status update but each to their own.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Having tried out lots of social media (Pinterest, Instagram, etc) I now just use facebook (a lot), this place (a lot) and the occasional perusal of Twitter (also use it for work, sometimes... it's genuinely useful for that). I use whatsapp to communicate with my kids, and have been looking this week at YikYak (but about to uninstall... bored with it already).

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Random word generator, Mark?
Ah, is that what it's called these days?
'Three pints of your finest random word generator please landlord!'

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

That's OK then. :okay:
Good job there's as much media as there is, otherwise there wouldn't be much for some students to study at University.
:reading: :addict:

I've always thought of Media Studies to be 'browsing the net'... - if so, I've a Masters Degree ! :tongue:

Top Bottom