Meet the Vikings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There is also the Hogback Stone in a local church, literally opposite where Meet the Vikings was happening last Monday.

http://www.stbridgetschurch.org.uk/hogbackdetail.htm

So there were definitely Viking settlements on the Wirral but then the buggers got everywhere. I can only think that the Bromborough battle was because they were trying to get out of the place.

Not quite...

On the main island of Britain if you live east of a line from London to west bank of the Dee estuary, you live in a place once ruled by the Vikings/Norsemen.

On the main island of Britain if you live anywhere in England outside the boundaries of the former Kingdom of Wessex, and her dependent kingdoms, you live in a place once settled by the Vikings/Norsemen.

But then again...

If you live anywhere in England you live in a place once ruled by daffodil the Great, probably the most effective King of the Anglo-Saxon era, and briefly, by his sons Harold Harefoot and Harthacnut.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Me and the dog failed to meet them again today, it being the May fair. In truth, it was early and bleary eyed Vikings hammering in tent pegs, robeing up and sipping Viking coffee were clearly not ready to meet anyone. Even the Viking dog on his Viking lead could only manage a small wag, so we failed to meet him too. True, we could go back but it'll be full of face painted toddlers on scooters by now, which is why we went early, toddlers, scooters and dog paws don't mix.

Also, I can't help feeling that sign has got one too many exclamation marks of excitement in it. I suspect they are not responsible for the sign and if they were they might lower the expectation by removing an exclamation mark or two. They seem lower key Vikings than the sign would have us believe.

_IMG6872.jpg

_IMG6873.jpg

Attachments

• _IMG6872.jpg
    _IMG6872.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 57
  • _IMG6873.jpg
    _IMG6873.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 45

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Don't you dare, that's a great OP. (Oh, too late I see.)

I've never met any Vikings, which is my own fault, as it seems they take ample time off from pillaging and accountancy to attend fair days and open mic nights.

View attachment 87735
Hubster was in the Vike. He was a telephone box sanitiser. Funny you should post that ^_^
I wasn't a claims adjuster, but I did work in the Claims department, but I don't look anything like the claims chap. It was all a long time ago.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not quite...

On the main island of Britain if you live east of a line from London to west bank of the Dee estuary, you live in a place once ruled by the Vikings/Norsemen.

On the main island of Britain if you live anywhere in England outside the boundaries of the former Kingdom of Wessex, and her dependent kingdoms, you live in a place once settled by the Vikings/Norsemen.

But then again...

If you live anywhere in England you live in a place once ruled by daffodil the Great, probably the most effective King of the Anglo-Saxon era, and briefly, by his sons Harold Harefoot and Harthacnut.
My parents moved to Knutsford, not many Vikings there now though. :whistle:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Also, I can't help feeling that sign has got one too many exclamation marks of excitement in it. I suspect they are not responsible for the sign and if they were they might lower the expectation by removing an exclamation mark or two. They seem lower key Vikings than the sign would have us believe.

_IMG6872.jpg

_IMG6873.jpg

I wonder if @Keith Oates is a Viking? He could be re-enacting in the South China Seas, as we speak, pillaging around with his Norse exclamation marks.

Attachments

• _IMG6873.jpg
    _IMG6873.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 66
  • _IMG6872.jpg
    _IMG6872.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
C

Crackle

I picked up a wee souvenir this morning

2015-05-05%252010.10.05.jpg

I have this vague plan to replace the belly dancers sign with this next year as I decided the belly dancers invoked a far more fearful response than the Vikings did. It's a sight that young children should not be subjected too. I happened upon them by chance last year, twisting about on the bowling green. If I was a bowler that green would carry haunting memories now.

The dog spent some time sniffing around where the Viking encampment had been, in a fearful tail down way, occasionally looking up with a worried look on his face. Perhaps they sacrificed the Viking dog there, not being able to get hold of a sheep or something.

Attachments

• 2015-05-05%252010.10.05.jpg
    2015-05-05%252010.10.05.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
C

Crackle

As I strolled to the park entrance in the unfortunate rain, my neighbour stopped in his car and shouted, " You're too early for the belly dancers." "But not for the Vikings," I replied and I wasn't. The rain had driven them into the safety of the tents with the burning brazier keeping them warm. Lit, one assumes, from the eternal flame or possibly a box of Swann Vesta. The Viking dog popped out the tent to issue a challenge to my non viking dog, who skirted around him and then nipped back and pee'd on his tent. Luckily it was raining so no one heard. And that was that. We did a quick circuit of the kids rides, various tat tents, all covered from the rain, so who knows what they were selling and were back at the Vikings before we knew it.

As my neighbour correctly pointed out, we were too early for the belly dancers on the bowling green which was occupied by a couple of bouncers in the form of wet seagulls with a studied look of attitude which only seagulls have.

We may nip back when the rain goes off

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The horns are a Victorian addition!

However I can see the attraction in drinking lost of ale and a bit of bodice ripping*

(* Consensual bodice ripping of course -this is the 21st Century)
& their practice with captures slaves on the way to selling them on of treating the men and boys as their wives(*) for the duration of the journey.

(*) I'm not sure if this means doing a bit of DIY at the weekend and saying yes dear absent-mindedly whilst football is on the TV and they're telling you about their day ( other Terry & June married life stereotypes are available) Or something a bit more invasive and unpleasant to keep them in line.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/

Here you go. Hubby and I are ex-vike. A nice bunch of people. Easy to join and they will teach you anything you want to know about becoming a Viking or Saxon. The twice yearly banquets are a blast too.
If you want any further info, please feel free to message me.

Oh, chap on the front page of the site is Black Bob. A nicer chap you'd never meet.
I'm ex-vike too. Greatest hobby on earth (next to Cycling).

Top Bottom