meeting childhood heroes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just wondering has anybody met their childhood heroes and what did you think...

i was allways into new romantic and early electronic music ,and with the band im involved with, have met gary numan,the original ultravox,and phil oakey and on the 22nd sept will be on stage with steve strange and visage , they have all been really down to earth people but im led to believe that steve strange is a bit stuck up his own arse so to speak

so who have you met and what did you think.????

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I met Steve Jones, who used to be a distance runner and one time marathon record holder. I remembered him because he was a corporal in the RAF and at the time I was a cadet in the ATC. I was watching a video of him finishing a marathon at one of the big exhibition halls (Excel I think) where you have to go to collect your London Marathon tickets. Then I was invited to meet him. He has a very firm handshake. I told him I hoped to get under 3:30. He said I should do that fine going by my half-marathon time, maybe even a bit quicker.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i met Russell Brookes in the late 70's he was a local hero for his exploits in his Andrews Heat for Hire sponsored rally cars , he lived up to my expectations of him , shame his driving didnt always do the same .

i keep wanting to bump in to another school boy hero Stig Blomqvist but so far never managed it ... one day

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I met Caroline Bradley, a famous showjumper in the 1970's, and she was really nice and very encouraging and most complimentary about my pony (we had just won a competition). Later that day I met Graham Fletcher, who was brusque to say the least. I had had posters of Caroline on my wall since I was in the 12.2s at pony club.

Having studied archaeology at uni, I was thrilled to do some filming with the Time Team folks and found Phil Harding to be very distant but Prof Mick Aston was the nicest person you could ever meet. Julian Richards (hosted Meet the Ancestors) was there too and he was just wonderful.

Lee_M

Guru
Met Rober Plan t (Led Zeppelin) in an ice cream parlour at a cinema in dudley years ago

He was very friendly, I was a complete idiot and was unable to speak I was so hero-struck

tyred

Legendary Member
I stil haven't met Tom & Jerry:cry:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Met Rober Plan t (Led Zeppelin) in an ice cream parlour at a cinema in dudley years ago

He was very friendly, I was a complete idiot and was unable to speak I was so hero-struck
cub group my mum use to be a leader in use to cut Robert Plants lawn every so often in exchange for a bob a job donation many moons ago

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I tried to apply for tickets to a Guardian reading group event with a bloke called Russell Hoban, who wrote my all time favourite book, bar none, but they were all gone. There was, however, a competition for one pair of tickets, which I entered and - to my amazement - won. So I got to not only go to the event, but join him and his wife and a few Guardian booky bods in a room beforehand. He was old and very frail, and clearly in some discomfort, but sharp as a razor as well as a true old-time gent. Lovely man. Sadly, he died shortly afterwards. I'm glad to have met him when I had the chance.

Was in the art supplies shop in the queue behind Rolf Harris, wasn't sure it was him at first, he was very polite letting me go first as he as still deciding / chatting to staff.

saw timmy mallet cycling along the river near Cookham...

D

Deleted member 23692

I was queuing in the bank a few many years ago, and stood infront of me was no other than Lionel Jeffries :smile: My childhood hero, playing the best part in the best movie ever made!

What a lovely bloke he was too:smile:

Top Bottom