meeting childhood heroes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
met pretty much all of my musical heroes.

Sir David Attenborough - met him a couple of years ago and was totally star struck. lovely man. everyone at the event was enthralled and queued for an autograph and he signed them all and chatted.

not really a childhood hero, but i met Stephen Roche this year and he was really friendly.

ayceejay

Guru
I met Ollie Read a number of times and a more obnoxious character it is difficult to imagine. When he did Bill Sykes I was trembling along with Oliver. He would come to the pub and challenge people at arm wrestling and cheat. I set my 10 year old son up with him as a crack and the SOB nearly broke his arm, I bought him his drink but the boy was devastated. What kind of person would do that?

Nearly there

Veteran
Ive met Billy connolly seemed nice he was impressed that I wasnt wearing a jumper or jacket in near freezing temps(northerner you see and not tipsy in the slightest;)) Its funny first impressions last if he'd been a cock and im sure he has been to others id have said the opposite lol,now john terry ive never met but i think hes a cock mmm odd :reading:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Met n sorta worth worked with The Stranglers during the Always The Sun tour.
Mate of mine worked for them n I got a tour pass -all areas- for a few gigs I went to.
I just helped look out for geysers selling iffy merchandise outside to punters queuing to get in.

I'm working with Hugh Cornwell at the moment.

blade1889

Fishing In The Rivers Of Life
Not exactly a childhood hero but i've met Paul Shane (Hi-De-Hi) my brother used to work at his pub and give him a lift home every night in his little Seat Marbella, a more down to earth chap you could not meet. Also met Beefy Botham, another nice guy. Best of the lot is Steve Gibson, the owner of Middlesborough football club. My son served him in a restaurant and he left him a £50 tip.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm working with Hugh Cornwell at the moment.
I was just thinking of The Stranglers ...

I watched them play at the Locarno, Coventry in 1977. A memorable gig for the sheer volume of gob heading stagewards from the punks in the crowd. At one point, Jean-Jacques Burnel got really peed off with it and warned the audience to pack it in. One foolhardy punk pogoed up to the foot of the stage and spat at JJB, who poleaxed him with his bass!

But I digress ...

I don't 'do' heroes so I was thinking of this:

A mate of mine was into the hero thing so when he spotted John Martyn having a pre-concert pint in a pub in Coventry he wandered over to tell him how much he loved the Solid Air album. JM looked up from his paper and said "I don't f**kin' know ye - p**s off!"

That wasn't enough to put him off hero worship. He had been a fan of the bands emerging from the 60s Canterbury scene, so when Hatfield and the North played at the then Lanchester Poly in 1974, he managed to find his way to their dressing room and opened the door. Hero Richard Sinclair told him to f**k off and threw a pint of lager at him!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I mean, if you ever get the chance to the see Wyle .E. Coyote and Roadrunner episodes back to back you suddenly see just how clever they actually were!

Not only was there the fantastic artwork in the original ones, even in the background, and the fact that the quite frankly insane landscape actually acted as a third, inanimate character, you saw themes emerging throughout the episodes and even things from previous episodes suddenly hijacking one of Wyle's daft schemes, such as when he set off a bunch of exploding planes in one episode, only for them to fly off and never be seen again.... Except that one suddenly appeared totally out of the blue in a later episode right at the wrong moment, ruining his ( then) attempt. Unless you had seen that earlier episode, you wouldn't have known what had just happened.

All he had to do was give you a look and you 'knew', he never had to say anything at all!

Hell what am I saying? My heroes would be the animators without any shadow of a doubt! To create a character who you understood and felt sympathy for without ever speaking must have taken a truly fantastic amount of skill, and I for one salute them.

Fcuk the Simpsons et al, speech is cheap whereas conveying the same thing silently is anything but!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was queuing in the bank a few many years ago, and stood infront of me was no other than Lionel Jeffries :smile: My childhood hero, playing the best part in the best movie ever made!

What a lovely bloke he was too:smile:

I've met him too, and Anna Quale, who played the baroness. It was indeed the best movie ever made. Ever.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I mean, if you ever get the chance to the see Wyle .E. Coyote and Roadrunner episodes back to back you suddenly see just how clever they actually were!

Not only was there the fantastic artwork in the original ones, even in the background, and the fact that the quite frankly insane landscape actually acted as a third, inanimate character, you saw themes emerging throughout the episodes and even things from previous episodes suddenly hijacking one of Wyle's daft schemes, such as when he set off a bunch of exploding planes in one episode, only for them to fly off and never be seen again.... Except that one suddenly appeared totally out of the blue in a later episode right at the wrong moment, ruining his ( then) attempt. Unless you had seen that earlier episode, you wouldn't have known what had just happened.

All he had to do was give you a look and you 'knew', he never had to say anything at all!

Hell what am I saying? My heroes would be the animators without any shadow of a doubt! To create a character who you understood and felt sympathy for without ever speaking must have taken a truly fantastic amount of skill, and I for one salute them.

Fcuk the Simpsons et al, speech is cheap whereas conveying the same thing silently is anything but!

I went to a Guardian Interview with Chuck Jones at the BFI, he talked about his time on Termite Terrace at Warner Brothers along with Tex Avery, Bob Clampett et al, they showed some Wyle E Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons (amongst others) on the big screen - great night for animation nerds!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I still want to meet Thomas The Tank, :laugh::blush:

Oh, done that...
DSCN3380.JPG

Although this might disturb you a bit...

DSCN3379.JPG

Top Bottom