Meeting new people after 50?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Crackle said:
Would it be true to say, a slightly wicked sense of humour?

Sometimes, but also sometimes an extremely norty sense of humour.:blush::biggrin:
I should be in bed by now, I think I will go home instead. :sad:

Abitrary

Speicher said:
Probably better to avoid Politics, as it could be difficult to get the balance right.

Don't avoid politics... you're not a teenager anymore. I remember people used to say never talk about politics or religion when you're drinking. But that advice was probably aimed at the scottish.

I'm in my mid thirties now, and always expected to be relaxed on dates, or meeting new people....or indeed usual friends. But there is always a little amout of stress that all parties feel. If I'm honest it never gets any better.

My best trick, or at least something I always find myself doing is thinking of 5 or so topics of conversation (and sometimes running through little imaginary dialogues with them) on the bus on the way there.

cchapman

It is difficult for some of us, myself included. The other dayI was cycling home when I was passed by a man riding a beautiful red italian road racer c.1975. I caught up and told him what a lovely bike he had, which he had inherited from his late father.We continued the journey chatting and discovered we lived in the same suburb, all those little niggling pains and aches forgotten. And at my street we parted. Why? The signals were all there. Why the reticence to exchange phone numbers addresses?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ahhhh! You should have asked him if he would be going out next week and would he mind if you accompanied him. Anyway he knows where you live now so if he's interested he'll find your house, don't worry.

Came late to this thread and I would add that at nearly 53 and married now for 13 years I would have no fear in asking somebody out. By contrast before I married I was prettty nervous about that kind of thing - maybe that's why I married so late?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Speicher said:
I think you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes.

I'm now slightly worried that everyone I meet over 50 is going to be judging me by my shoes which I wear for comfort rather than because they are the most stylish.;) Also do I need to start developing this skill for myself before I reach 50.:biggrin:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Judge everyone by their smile. Says much more than their shoes.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cathryn said:
Judge everyone by their smile. Says much more than their shoes.

That's OK then... I often grin like a looney at other folk when cycling along... (unless I'm going up a hill!)

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Oh dear, :biggrin:

I was trying to be witty, and failed. ;) It was about meeting new people (on Cycle Chat rides, possibly) when you have just ridden 50 miles.

I mentioned Beer, Tea, Politics (and Life) balance, fixed, single (gear), obviously far far too subtle. :evil::evil: I even mentionned seeing them in their (new, not yet ordered, Cycle Chat) Buff. :eek:

:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Speicher said:

I was trying to be witty, and failed. ;) It was about meeting new people (on Cycle Chat rides, possibly) when you have just ridden 50 miles.
I got it...

I don't think age has a great deal to do with the difficulty of meeting new people, unless you choose to let it. I was never the life and soul of the party when I was younger. Eventually, I realised that I didn't even want to go to the party!

I do like meeting up with other forum members though. I've organised quite a few rides in West Yorkshire and Lancashire for C+, BikeRadar and CycleChat members and I'm sure that there will be a couple this year. In fact, a group of us already have one rather special ride planned for the end of June - The West Yorkshire Cycle Route. There will be ample time for chatting on that, but whether we will have the energy to do so remains to be seen. I'm sure that we won't be paying too much attention to dress code on the day. :evil:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Ok..listen.

You are a lady, as such you posses mind reading powers which mere males do not;). Speaking for myself as a mere male I would say that I need things between the eyes:ohmy:, direct, obvious, blatently over obvious in fact:laugh:

I reckon I must get hit on all the time by women, I just never notice;);):rolleyes:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Speicher said:

Opps:blush:... well I still haven't got to that 50 either ... nearly ... and they will just have to put up with what ever footwear I choose to wear... roll on summer flip flops - and yes I did 40 miles on them last year one day on a mini tour.

Top Bottom