Meeting Road Safe London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, who else would be so contrary!!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
I must admit that cycle like you're a motorbike rings like good advice. Gaz, we don't often see you on the offside so much, is that right?

In some occasions. but don't have any incidences then, so nothing posted :laugh:

Tinuts said:
Interesting. Can't quite understand how the response to my complaint (https://www.cyclechat.net/) was so lacking in a basic understanding of cyclists' rights on the road. Clearly there are roadsafe officers who are appreciative and some who appear to be relativley clueless about what constitutes acceptable driving when it comes to the treatment of cyclists.

And what exactly does give way where possible mean?

I'm not in the position to say what is right and wrong, i agree with you that the overtake in question was not only pointless but also dangerous. From what they have said to me, they will take into account both parties, they have to look after all road users, and thus sometimes they may tell you do something you wouldn't agree with. But as we all know, the camera tells a different story to what our eyes see and what we know about the roads!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Ride like a motorcycle (motorcyclist) is not particularly useful advice without further elaboration. It's real shame they could not examine your videos in more depth.

Gaz, if they are looking to publicise this, I think there is an excellent opportunity/story here.

The papers would be interested in a story of a cyclist taking videos to them and getting some advice about his cycling as well as action on the incidents itself. It would be the sort of article that could be a 'feature article'. In it they could raise the Exchanging places programme etc.

To make it a bit more juicy, you could invite the officers to comment on some of your video incidents which would raise a number of road safety issues.

Of course this would mean putting your head above the parapet, but it could be worthwhile.....[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, that's cheered me up no end mate!

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Origamist said:
Ride like a motorcycle (motorcyclist) is not particularly useful advice without further elaboration. It's real shame they could not examine your videos in more depth.
They did expand on it more, saying things along the lines of taking more than primary in some cases, don't always swing around the outside of drains / pot holes. and look further ahead to plan better!

magnatom said:
Gaz, if they are looking to publicise this, I think there is an excellent opportunity/story here.

The papers would be interested in a story of a cyclist taking videos to them and getting some advice about his cycling as well as action on the incidents itself. It would be the sort of article that could be a 'feature article'. In it they could raise the Exchanging places programme etc.

To make it a bit more juicy, you could invite the officers to comment on some of your video incidents which would raise a number of road safety issues.

Of course this would mean putting your head above the parapet, but it could be worthwhile.....
No doubt, they have already had some big exposure on the cycling front of it, and i think they are looking for motorists to start being more aware. your idea is certainly a good one and if the oppertunity arises i would leap at it with open arms.

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
They did expand on it more, saying things along the lines of taking more than primary in some cases, don't always swing around the outside of drains / pot holes. and look further ahead to plan better!

Cyclists can certainly learn from the behaviour of motorcyclists and much cycle training is indebted to motorcycle best practice. However, potholes present a greater risk to road cyclists than motorcyclists, especially in lower speed urban environments. Taking the lane is easier if you can move at the speed of the traffic flow, not so helpful if you're doing a more leisurely 13mph (also I suspect cyclists travelling at 25mph in primary and motorcyclists travelling at the same speed in primary will elicit different behaviour from those following). All road users can benefit from better advanced planning and hazard awareness (in particular motorised vehicles who are generally travelling faster).

Top Bottom