Memberships and Insurance???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nick bray, 31 Jul 2012.

  1. Nick bray

    Nick bray Regular

    Hello all, hope everyone is having some good rides out there.

    Looking for advice on getting insurance and memberships etc.

    I am looking at entering various cycling events in my local area, and having read the various event details, realise i should maybe get myself some insurance for both kit and injury. As well as that some events want the application for the events filled in on official scottish cycling forms. Some events talk about day licences etc.
    Any guidance on the best way forward would be appreciated with regards to best insurance company's to go for etc.
  2. lpretro1

    lpretro1 Guest

    Assuming you are talking about cycle racing then the British Cycling federation is what you need to join as they are the ones who can issue race licences. You would need as a minimum to take out Race Bronze to get a licence - I think. Membership of the BCF includes third party liability insurance but not bike or personal insurance cover (unless you take out a Race Gold level membership). You would have to arrange that separately.
    If you do not want to race then you can join the BCF taking out Ride Membership or you can join the CTC.
    Nick bray likes this.
  3. snorri

    snorri Legendary Member

    I would suggest getting in touch with your nearest club, they should be able to give all the advice you would need for competitive cycling in Grampian and beyond. Insurance may be available as part of a membership deal.
    Here is a link to Grampian clubs.
    Nick bray likes this.
  4. Nebulous

    Nebulous Veteran

    Hi Nick

    a club is probably the way to go. As far as I know you are limited in the amount of cover you get to race/compete, with anything to cover kit being impractical. You can enter events without having British Cycling membership, but you have to pay for a day licence. Costs may vary, but it is £10 for a time trial. Entry is usually £10 as well, so you are looking at £20 to enter a time trial on a day licence. I have British Cycling silver race membership which covers third party liability and gives me a provisional race licence. Apparently that is enough for time-trialling, but not for some other events where you need a full race licence.
    Nick bray likes this.
  5. OP
    Nick bray

    Nick bray Regular

    Thanks for the advice everyone.

    I have been looking at joining a couple of clubs, unfortunately the nearest is 35 miles away, and with working offshore it makes it a bit more difficult to commit to a club that far away regularly, and to fall in with the meet and training times and patterns.
    Have been talking to the wife who is a long distance runner about maybe finding other people in the local area and starting up a running / cycling club....
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice