Memberships and Insurance???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick bray

Regular
Hello all, hope everyone is having some good rides out there.

Looking for advice on getting insurance and memberships etc.

I am looking at entering various cycling events in my local area, and having read the various event details, realise i should maybe get myself some insurance for both kit and injury. As well as that some events want the application for the events filled in on official scottish cycling forms. Some events talk about day licences etc.
Any guidance on the best way forward would be appreciated with regards to best insurance company's to go for etc.

lpretro1

Assuming you are talking about cycle racing then the British Cycling federation is what you need to join as they are the ones who can issue race licences. You would need as a minimum to take out Race Bronze to get a licence - I think. Membership of the BCF includes third party liability insurance but not bike or personal insurance cover (unless you take out a Race Gold level membership). You would have to arrange that separately.
If you do not want to race then you can join the BCF taking out Ride Membership or you can join the CTC.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi Nick

a club is probably the way to go. As far as I know you are limited in the amount of cover you get to race/compete, with anything to cover kit being impractical. You can enter events without having British Cycling membership, but you have to pay for a day licence. Costs may vary, but it is £10 for a time trial. Entry is usually £10 as well, so you are looking at £20 to enter a time trial on a day licence. I have British Cycling silver race membership which covers third party liability and gives me a provisional race licence. Apparently that is enough for time-trialling, but not for some other events where you need a full race licence.

OP
OP
Nick bray

Nick bray

Regular
Hi,
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have been looking at joining a couple of clubs, unfortunately the nearest is 35 miles away, and with working offshore it makes it a bit more difficult to commit to a club that far away regularly, and to fall in with the meet and training times and patterns.
Have been talking to the wife who is a long distance runner about maybe finding other people in the local area and starting up a running / cycling club....

Top Bottom