Memory Map Adventurer 2800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have just had an email in from Memory Map extolling the virtues of their latest gadget the Memory Map Adventurer 2800 Sat Nav.

One minor detail they omit to mention is expected battery life and how it is powered. (Fixed internal or replaceable batteries)

If anyone is going to the Earls Court Cycle Show they are on stand C15 could you ask them as IMO this is perhaps the most important detail relating to any purchasing decision?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why are they selling it with the maps pre-loaded ... I already have Britain at 1:50 000 so I don't want a sub-set of those maps to be included if I was buying the product.

Will1962

I addition to expected battery life, I would also want to know:

1. What is the power input - mini USB?
2. What is the screen like when outdoors?

Will

P.H

Über Member
summerdays said:
Why are they selling it with the maps pre-loaded ... I already have Britain at 1:50 000 so I don't want a sub-set of those maps to be included if I was buying the product.

There isn't that much pre loaded, National Parks on LR and a gift voucher!

How reliable is touch screen technology these days? A few years ago I worked somewhere with loads of them and they were always playing up.

I'm going to the Cycle Show specifically to choose a GPS, but unless this looks better in the flesh I can't see me going for it.

Jonathan M

Will1962 said:
I addition to expected battery life, I would also want to know:

1. What is the power input - mini USB?
2. What is the screen like when outdoors?

Will

I'd be keen to know this as well, I've used a PDA now for a couple of years that has a built in GPS and the screen in bright light is pretty useless. 2.8 " screen isn't that big either, and is similar to the one on my PDA, so it is fine up close, as soon as you zoom out then it really looses its usefullness, as you couldn't sit on a hilltop and have the same area on show on a decent scale map.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yes I go the email and had the same thoughts as others. I use MM on my PC and on a PDA but the battery and screen on the latter are not great. I would fork out for a device on which I could use my existing MM mapping if battery and screen were at least as good as a garmin. I'm interested in any feedback.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Would be interested to see how this compares to the Satmap Active 10, I did consider getting this, though went for a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx in, the end (after trying a Garmin Edge 705 for a while, which is a bit crippled GPS-wise, compared to the otherwise quite similar and cheaper Vista...)

geocycle

Legendary Member
phil_hg_uk said:
Has anyone tries the Memory-Map Sustrans National Cycle Network addon. Is it any good.

Yes, I've got it. It is basically an overlay of the sustrans routes and proposed routes. You can use it to generate route profiles and it gives you some hover-over distance measures from the start of each segment. It is not that useful as many OS map segments now have NCN as green dots so all you are getting is a more complete version. I guess it saves you transposing the paper sustrans map to MM and exporting to your GPS. It also distinguishes road and off road sections as green or red.

Scotty_W

I saw the Memory Map 2800 at the bike show at Earls Court. Must say I am very impressed even compared to competitor units. Small, ergonimic and build quality is great. Screen is very bright, I was indoors at the time so cannot offer my opinions on outdoor use, but can say that from my experience I'd be confident in the screen being comparable with what's on the market already.

The best thing about it which Memory Map should talk about more is the refresh rate, or lack of it. Having used GPS for years, on my bike, walking, in the car, I was yet to find one which when scrolling/zooming/scaling did not take an age to load. You know the situation, you scroll across the map with you finger and part of the map has not loaded!!! Frustrating! MM seem to have nailed the problem with this, there is literally no refresh rate. You can just move across the screen and the map is there all the time......Got to see it to believe it.

We have bought some which are supposedly arriving in October. We wrote a review and some other info for the site, which the MM sales guy at Earl's Court told us. Must say the MM team are very helpful but the website is not!

Link are below for those interested in reading more:

Adventurer 2800 Review.

Top Bottom