Memory Map Adventurer 2800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
Thanks for info. Scotty_W, it does sound quite tempting... did you get to see what the bike mount looked like? Would it fit on both stem and handlebars, including over-sized? Thanks

Cranky

oxford_guy said:
Thanks for info. Scotty_W, it does sound quite tempting... did you get to see what the bike mount looked like? Would it fit on both stem and handlebars, including over-sized? Thanks

I saw the bike mount in a display case. Because the device itself doesn't have an attachment of any sort the bike mount is a rather chunky 'slot in' affair which did look a bit cumbersome compared to the Garmin Edge system. I think it attached to the stem by two cable ties. I can only assume that it can rotate to attach to the handlebars but can't be sure. However, the chunkiness of the mount would be a small price to pay, in my view, as I was quite impressed by the features of the unit and would definitely buy one when my second Garmin Edge packs up.

oxford_guy

Über Member
seadoox said:
Just ordered one from here- http://www.outdoorworldltd.co.uk/display_products.php?cat=009,001 delivery is free and you get a free AA Maglite. I was told they should be available next week.

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with this, especially how well the bike mount works (am assuming you ordered one?) and the battery life.
I have an eTrex Vista Hcx, but the Adventurer 2800 is very tempting...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Scotty_W said:
I saw the Memory Map 2800 at the bike show at Earls Court.
New user with two posts, both extolling the virtues of this product, including some demonstrably untrue claims about the quality of the screen ...

SteveG

I had a play last night with this device in Cotswold Outdoors and got to say I was very disappointed with it. I want something to replace my old eTrex Legend - I've got the hump with it when standing in the middle of a field and there are 5 footpaths all going in the same direction and I can't tell which one to follow on my route - so its time to get one that displays an OS map.

Its about the same size as the Garmin and the screen looks fab, but thats about where the wow factor stops.

To zoom in and out on the map you need to either stop the bike, find the stylis which might still be attached the lanyard and then point at a small icon on the screen to zoom in and out - or take you glove off and if you are luck you might be able to hit the small zoom buttons with your little finger - scrolling the screen is equally as hard, you have to press the screen ever so hard to scroll around with your fingers, its not like using an iPhone or again use the stylis.

Next issue I have it, there is no trip computer, its just Memory maps running on a rugged PDA running Windows - so you can't tell how far you've gone or your average speed. So i would either need to ride with a trip computer or carry on with the Garmin which did an excellent job or showing this information, but that kind of defeats the purpose. You can get a display of the satalites available but that is in a window that sits on top the OS map.

I'm wondering as its a Windows based device if other companies will be allowed to add software to the device and if MM themselves will release a firmware upgrade shortly to address this short comming?

Also I'm not a fan of the locked in battery, the last thing you want is to be in the middle of an all night ride and the battery dies and you can't just replace with some AA batteries.

I think I'm going to reconsider the Satmap after waiting for this device, which is slightly annoying as I already own several memory map products.

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
SteveG

Thanks for this. I have been in contact with MM and asked for a demo unit. I work in a school and one of the activities that is undertaken is the DoE Award scheme.

We are looking at purchaing up to 10 of these units for the back up and safety team and based on what I have read todate I am not convinced that the MM unit will be the correct option.

SteveG

It might be ok for DoE, as long as you don't loose the pen :tongue: and are happy to stop to change the image on the screen.

Come April 2010 OS have to release their maps on the internet for free, so I think there might be a big explosion of online mapping sites, so a decent mobile might also do the job for that type of thing.

Interested in hearing anothers experience, Amazon reviews was not going well either, someone else compained it had crashed 3 times already - although seems someone else disagrees with my comments.

Good luck, i'm interested in seeing other peoples experience. I might do an Evans cycle ride in Jan where I believe MM is exhibiting and might be a chance to borrow a unit. Did this with the satmap at mountain mayhem.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002XEC0EA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

johnmandy

adventurer 2800

there you go again steveg, obviously never owning the adventurer 2800, you feel you have the knowledge gained from using this unit to explain to this forum how bad this unit is, as i stated in a previous reply to a review you had written on amazon, 2 reviews of which 1 is yours, forum members deserve to be treated with a much more knowledgeble post than yours, i have used this unit several days and have completed 2 trips,without complaint, as good,if not better than my old gps, but with os mapping on screen, i will in a couple of weeks write a review for the members of this forum after 2 conditions are met, owning, or having access to the reviewed item, and just as important, using all aspects of the gps

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
johnmandy said:
there you go again steveg, obviously never owning the adventurer 2800, you feel you have the knowledge gained from using this unit to explain to this forum how bad this unit is, as i stated in a previous reply to a review you had written on amazon, 2 reviews of which 1 is yours, forum members deserve to be treated with a much more knowledgeble post than yours, i have used this unit several days and have completed 2 trips,without complaint, as good,if not better than my old gps, but with os mapping on screen, i will in a couple of weeks write a review for the members of this forum after 2 conditions are met, owning, or having access to the reviewed item, and just as important, using all aspects of the gps

JM

Would be handy to know what GPS you are are using to compare the MM against.

johnmandy

adventurer 2800

satans budgie, i know from reading your post that you have some interest in this unit, but from another previous post it is wrong to inform the forum that if you are happy to stop to change the image on the screen it may be okay for you, i can tell you that soon as you arrive at your start point, activate your route, you will get a gps fix,(less than 15 seconds the time i have used it) your are fixed to the center of the map, which in turn scrolls as you travel, you never have to scroll to find your position, also i have found zooming in and out easier than my venture hc,i am not small, and can do this with my fingers, with the lightest of touches, i can,t think of any gps unit that will zoom in or out if your cycling without stopping to use your fingers or stylus,this we do for safety reasons

Top Bottom