Memory Map Adventurer 2800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveG

johnmandy said:
there you go again steveg, obviously never owning the adventurer 2800, you feel you have the knowledge gained from using this unit to explain to this forum how bad this unit is, as i stated in a previous reply to a review you had written on amazon, 2 reviews of which 1 is yours, forum members deserve to be treated with a much more knowledgeble post than yours, i have used this unit several days and have completed 2 trips,without complaint, as good,if not better than my old gps, but with os mapping on screen, i will in a couple of weeks write a review for the members of this forum after 2 conditions are met, owning, or having access to the reviewed item, and just as important, using all aspects of the gps

I'm happy to to put my hands up again, like I did at the begining of my post and say I haven't bought the unit - its just my experience from using it in the store - After being a Garmin eTrex Legend user for many years I feel I have enough experience to know what I'm looking for in a device - I've also riden with a Satmap for a couple of days, so I feel I can probably give some general advice - at the time of writing there were no other reviews around - still struggling to see any others, so was just trying to help out the general discussion - sorry if I offended you.

P.S The etrex happily changes screen whilst riding - i regularly change from map to trip computer, and zoom in and out - having the device clipped to the handle bars is like changing gear.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Johnmandy - I think you are being a little harsh on SteveG, he's allowed to express an opinion on it - he says he doesn't own it so you wouldn't expect him to know it inside out. First impressions of how easy something is to use are of use to me - sometimes picking up a new device does have a bit of a learning curve - I'm not a technical person so for me if it isn't really simple I might take a while to get to grips with it.

I have Memory Map 5 (I think) running on a PDA - so the point about batteries is relevant to me... I have spare batteries for my PDA and do sometimes need to change them after about 6-8 hours - I would be unable to do this by the sounds of it.

I don't really use it for route finding on the bike - more for creating a track of my route so I can't really comment on features such as stopping to zoom in, as its usually in a bag or pocket. But when walking or arriving at my destination and I have to use a stylus or take off a glove it can be a little annoying so points about ease of use are valid.

johnmandy

SteveG said:
I'm happy to to put my hands up again, like I did at the begining of my post and say I haven't bought the unit - its just my experience from using it in the store - After being a Garmin eTrex Legend user for many years I feel I have enough experience to know what I'm looking for in a device - I've also riden with a Satmap for a couple of days, so I feel I can probably give some general advice - at the time of writing there were no other reviews around - still struggling to see any others, so was just trying to help out the general discussion - sorry if I offended you.

P.S The etrex happily changes screen whilst riding - i regularly change from map to trip computer, and zoom in and out - having the device clipped to the handle bars is like changing gear.

i hold my hands up steveG, it was never my intention to stiffle this discussion, i could have chossen my words more carefully to your earlier comments, and for that i apologise, maybe i can give this forum some addional feedback on the adventurer 2800, it does scroll automatically after locking on to the satalite and starting your route, you never have to imput any more commands to keep within the sreen area, you can show other data fields on the screen whilst travelling, including current position,vmg mark,E T A to next, E T A to end, and distance to end, more importantly it gives a directional arrow to next waymark, but after using the 2800 on my walks there doesn,t seem to be a reason to use these addional info boxes, my personal reason for buying this item was to see os mapping on my gps, i really don,t want to clutter the screen with info thats not always necessary,this information will be readily aviable from your saved track via memory map, also i know with cycling, elevation is uppermost in your minds, but the os mapping caters for this with the contour lines. hope this helps in someway.

ps
summerdays, once you have loaded your map from the computer and activated your route at the start, you could set your zoom setting in your car, or even at home, zoom to far out and the map becomes to large to read, so in my case, (everybody will be different), there will be a sweet view point which we all work within,and once comfortable with that,there seems no real advantage in zooming out or in, also, and this needs clearing up, the route once activated scrolls automatically keeping you at the center of the screen, the same as my venture hc, i really do not have to imput any commands into the gps once i have started my ride or walk

new review on amazon, addional infomation on gps there

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
johnmandy said:
i hold my hands up steveG, it was never my intention to stiffle this discussion, i could have chossen my words more carefully to your earlier comments, and for that i apologise, maybe i can give this forum some addional feedback on the adventurer 2800, it does scroll automatically after locking on to the satalite and starting your route, you never have to imput any more commands to keep within the sreen area, you can show other data fields on the screen whilst travelling, including current position,vmg mark,E T A to next, E T A to end, and distance to end, more importantly it gives a directional arrow to next waymark, but after using the 2800 on my walks there doesn,t seem to be a reason to use these addional info boxes, my personal reason for buying this item was to see os mapping on my gps, i really don,t want to clutter the screen with info thats not always necessary,this information will be readily aviable from your saved track via memory map, also i know with cycling, elevation is uppermost in your minds, but the os mapping caters for this with the contour lines. hope this helps in someway.

ps
summerdays, once you have loaded your map from the computer and activated your route at the start, you could set your zoom setting in your car, or even at home, zoom to far out and the map becomes to large to read, so in my case, (everybody will be different), there will be a sweet view point which we all work within,and once comfortable with that,there seems no real advantage in zooming out or in, also, and this needs clearing up, the route once activated scrolls automatically keeping you at the center of the screen, the same as my venture hc, i really do not have to imput any commands into the gps once i have started my ride or walk

new review on amazon, addional infomation on gps there

Some capital letters would be nice... ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
johnmandy said:
ps

I already have most of the UK (well Scotland/England/Wales) loaded onto my PDA - I disagree about not needing to zoom in or out - as you sometimes want to check the general direction of your route and at other stages need to zoom in for the finer detail. In fact when I'm in the car (as a passenger) I'm also zooming between different scales too. I assume it works similar to my PDA in that it is centred on your location, or you can move it so that locked position is at the bottom of the screen so you can see more of the route ahead etc.

Can you get it without the maps considering I spent a reasonable sum of money on the maps in the first place.

Does it save the track information all the time or only when you exit - that is one of my bugbears with my current system is loosing data because I failed to exit.

johnmandy

summerdays said:
I already have most of the UK (well Scotland/England/Wales) loaded onto my PDA - I disagree about not needing to zoom in or out - as you sometimes want to check the general direction of your route and at other stages need to zoom in for the finer detail. In fact when I'm in the car (as a passenger) I'm also zooming between different scales too. I assume it works similar to my PDA in that it is centred on your location, or you can move it so that locked position is at the bottom of the screen so you can see more of the route ahead etc.

Can you get it without the maps considering I spent a reasonable sum of money on the maps in the first place.

Does it save the track information all the time or only when you exit - that is one of my bugbears with my current system is loosing data because I failed to exit.

Summerdays, i do understand your need to be able to zoom in and out, but for me a birds eye view of 500 meters allows me to navigate without the need for further manual imput, I would also say that zooming is very easy with no need for the stylus,being easier than my venture hc, I am fortunate to have a few 1-25000 maps, Maybe this makes a difference, Your direction is taken care of by means of a direction arrow, simalar to the pointer on the Garmins, this can be as big or as small as you want, not sure if your positional marker can be moved to the bottom of the screen, I need to be on a active route to try that. As far as i know the unit comes with all britains National parks 1-50000, And a 10000sq km download as a bundle, and i don,t think can be sold seperatly, You can also use any existing memory maps providing they are version 5. You can click on your route at anytime, select properties and then save as ----.up to that point.
It will also save automatically as a default, in the event you turn it off before saving, Hope this helps

SteveG

Satmap good price on Amazon

Just seen that Amazon have the SatMap at a closer price point to the Memory Maps - £289.

I've just bought a Satmap mount so I can borrow a friends to get a feel for how that works out on a good off road trail. I'll let you know.

Still could buy either so interested in hearing any positive reviews on the MM.

johnmandy

SteveG said:
Just seen that Amazon have the SatMap at a closer price point to the Memory Maps - £289.

I've just bought a Satmap mount so I can borrow a friends to get a feel for how that works out on a good off road trail. I'll let you know.

Still could buy either so interested in hearing any positive reviews on the MM.

Hi steveG, would that be the plus model or older standard version, cheers

johnmandy

Sorry steveG, i,ve just pre-empted your reply, i checked amazon after your posting,you were offline, and it is the plus model.
That is a very competative price, and i think the members of this forum will pick up some bargin gps hardware, its nice to see healthy competition.

Top Bottom