Memory-Map or Tracklogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfox

I have both, but tend to prefer the way TrackLogs works, though I am tempted to revisit MemoryMap because of is coverage of France.

TrackLogs can get very memory hungry when plotting long tracks and benefits from a high(ish) spec computer, though the most recent version has improved this a bit. It has a free trial, why not try it and see if it does what you want?

It might help to know what you want the software to do. If you are just looking to string a few tracks together, the free on-line tools like Bikely or MapMyRide do a very good job.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can only comment on Memory Map ... I use it to plan routes (to avoid hills in my case, ok not avoid them - this is Bristol - but reduce them a bit), so I like the 3D mapping part. I also create track logs of my routes then I can look at what speed I was doing going up those hills. Occasionally I have bad days when the software plays up and fails to log it... but that might be more due to the PDA I'm running it on. Its also useful when out and lost I can see where I am.
The only other software I've used is one for Ireland and it was rubbish by comparison.

OP
OP
halo

halo

thanks for the info. - I've tried MapMyRide - what a great little tool!

the main reason for wanting to know about which package really links into my next question - which GPS?

I really want to be able to plan routes ( so I know distance / climb ) then upload to a GPS and follow the route ( in real time? ) - also with possibility of post ride analysis - actual distance / climb etc.

any pointers appreciated

cheers!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've tried both and much prefer using Tracklogs. IMO the user interface is much more consistent and intuitive, mainly because it adhears reasonably well to current Windows interface conventions. Memorymap feels more 'homemade'.

For me, Tracklog's licensing was cheaper for the areas I needed. As far as I'm aware, only Memorymap includes maps from outside the UK.

Both have a similar 3D capability, although this is much more a toy than anything else; the real hill pain info comes from the 'Profile' graph and 'Statistics' table.

One thing you might notice about the terrain info is that it will tend to smooth out the worst of the inclines. For the lumpy stuff around Winchester, I reckon that a hill that tracklogs estimates has a maximum gradient of 8% will have at least a few metres of 12% or more (i.e. a factor of 1.5). Its only a rule of thumb, but it seems to work and my knees like to be pre-warned.

Although you can get hold of very high resolution elevation data these days from LIDAR or laser-rangefinder surveys, its likely that this has been subsampled for Tracklogs (and almost definitely Memorymap too) to give a manageable data set size. This will act like a low-pass filter and lose the short-sharp incline detail.

:ohmy:God, I'm boring!

yello

I used Tracklogs and liked it. But it is memory hungry so a good spec PC is required (maybe that's the same for MemoryMap too though). I've since moved to France so Tracklogs is no use to me any more... but I have since discovered MapMyRide which does everything I want including saving the track as a file to import into to my Edge 305. Sorted and done deal!

I tried the bike route toaster site but found it's 'auto-complete' or 'follow-the road' function (or whatever it's called!) just hung. With MapMyRide, I had no such problem.

Bigtallfatbloke

I just spent two hours planning a route on bike toast and then the dam thing all froze and I lost everything

mcd

When planning the route from Lands End to John O'Groats I tried both and preferred TrackLogs. I think it was the way it showed the route profile - made it easier to find a flatter route!

Top Bottom