Men and beer... Grrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Was surfing the TV last night (ah! the curse of the remote) and watched some bits of a programme about drinking men's clubs and the beer culture. Now I remember going into the upstairs room of a large pub in Newcastle upon Tyne in the seventies and being impressed at the degree of organisation involved in converting as much beer as possible into urine; the dozens of small round tables with benches all around the walls, the call buttons and white-jacketed stewards who would bring round trays loaded with identical, over-chilled, over-caramelised and pasteurised Scotch keg bitter with a thick white head at the request of the drinkers at each table. The strict rule was that each drinker bought a round and the whole evening was full of subtle rules and etiquette, some of which still exists in British pubs to this day: http://www.sirc.org/publik/pub.html (this is fascinating reading, by the way).

I've always believed that the problem for British youth is that we no longer have any macho industries; we don't build big ships, we don't make steel, mine coal, build and operate steam engines. In those golden years of industry there was a strict hierarchy, young people had something to which they could aspire and hard work would be rewarded by slow movement up the ranks as the older workers retired. The hierarchy of the factory was reflected in the street as richer workers moved to bigger houses up the hill and it was reflected in the pubs and clubs, as explained by last night's programme, as the older drinkers occupied the more favourable seats. The pub was safe territory where men could discuss their problems and interests in a safely neutral male environment and receive the benefit of their chums' wisdom and experience. I'd be wiling to bet there was less isolation, less loneliness and less anxiety amongst men at least. Drunkenness was uncommon according to the TV programme because a man's peers would ensure that he didn't overstep the mark by moving on to, for example, shorts on a weekday outside of an occasion like a wedding or a birthday celebration. There was a strict dress code of suit, tie and flat cap and almost everybody slaked their thirst in the pub after a hard day's work. All this was very manly and I remember when we first moved to Newcastle in the seventies - my Mum was asked to move from the public bar into the lounge and when she requested a glass of lager the barman replied: "Sorry Pet, there's no call for it; we don't get many women in here."

Some celebrate the disappearance of this culture, which is often derided as chauvinist but I can't help wondering if there would be less alcoholism and violence if men still drank lowish-alcohol session beers in the controlled, low key, un-competitive environment of the pub or club where people sat and talked rather than cruise from one bar to another, conversation impossible thanks to loud music, getting wasted on strong lagers and cheap shorts. I miss the conversation with mates, the gentle joshing and banter and the feeling of having a place where you are welcome as a regular as well as the enjoyment of a great pint like Moorhouses or Copper Dragon or Joseph Holts bitter.

My small thesis of course ignores the entire question of women and alcohol, but I don't see why women shouldn't be able to partake on equal terms with men in the kind of environment I describe. They do in my local, the Robin Hood in Helmshore and a very pleasant, sociable pub it is too.

What do others think?

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I could'nt agree with you more but I'd have to say that Brakespears bitter or Sharps Doombar is a better session beer than Joseph Holts bitter. I find that a little heavy after three pints, still it's all a matter of personal taste.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The thing is, to return to those days you'd need to return to those men too.

Unfortunately society has moved on and away from good sense and instead of looking out for one another in the drinking stakes many encourage a macho 'drink as much as you can' attitude. That seems to apply as much to women as to men from my experience.

My recent pub visits have been pleasent experiences though, a pint for me and a half for her, however, that has been away from home. My local pubs seem to trade in gallons rather then pints per punter.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh no! Not a handle! That's for the home counties and golf clubs.

(Agreed with DD about Holts bitter though - it is a bit too strong for a session.)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Was it the case that an average pint of beer in the 50's and 60's was much lower ABV, say 3.8%.

Where as the stuff the kids drink now is 5.2%.

So you could drink 10 pints and still walk home.

ASC1951

Guru
My small thesis of course ignores the entire question of women and alcohol, but I don't see why women shouldn't be able to partake on equal terms with men in the kind of environment I describe. They do in my local....
There are many village and even some town pubs like that, although the smoking ban and other factors are killing them off at a rate of knots. Those are certainly the pubs I was brought up on and tbh I don't recall any discrimination against women except going back to the early 70s.

The trouble is that most town pubs are now owned by chains and they get their best profit from - as you say - getting as much alcohol through a scrum of 16-25 year olds as possible in as short a time as possible; and to hell with the public disorder generated. That's why, for instance, many have no seats and music is deliberately too loud to converse.

FWIW I reckon an old fashioned pub is a much safer drinking environment than having teenagers getting voddied up from the supermarket and going out for ten pints of 5.2% lager. I would direct alcohol pricing to support proper pubs, personally. Certainly I would re-charge Town Circuit Yobbo Pubs with much more of the cost of policing.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Oh no! Not a handle! That's for the home counties and golf clubs.
Nonsense: a handle (and the thicker glass) keeps the beer at cellar temperature, no need to chill the life of it. That is all I have to say on the subject.

endoman

Had a pint at bar at St Pancras Grand Hotel while waiting for train on XMas eve. That was served in a metal tankard, great surroundings, but sterile atmosphere. Other bar / pub closed at 4pm, normally have some decent ales on there, shame they don't do carry out cartons like some pubs.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I've decided to resurrect this post because I think it's important. As a lover or real beer ,minus the beard & sandals with socks, I find the way drinking is structured these days to be daft. Give me a decent pint of bitter any day or a cider over a lager that tastes like sucking on a scaffold board.:popcorn:
To this end and bearing in mind that I believe that the vast majority of contributors to this forum are sensible drinkers I propose that this post is made a pin-up to include our own cyclist friendly pub guide. Naturally I would prefer if these were to be pubs that served real Beer.
So to start the ball rolling da da da da da da:wahhey: .... The Telegraph Inn, Telegraph Road, Putney Heath.
and The Half Moon, Lower Richmond Road Putney.
and The Prince of Wales, Morden Road, South Wimbledon
and The Bricklayers Arms, Lower Richmond Road, Putney ( with this one you can bring your bikes in the Garden if the weathers fine or lock them up by the river if not. I always carry a plastic bag to put over my saddle anyway. The Zebra crossing is outside The Dukes Head that road is very busy. )

and the rest is up to you to recommend places where we can enjoy a reasonably priced pint of beer with a bit of grub.:hungry: These pubs are also very suitable for the ladies as well. Lets try to keep chains like Slug & Lettuce and All Bar One out of it though. I'm thinking more along the lines of Real Traditional Pubs with Real names and real ale.:cheers:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"a reasonably priced pint of beer" - reminds me of when I bumped into an (originally from Manchester) mate in our local (£3.50/pint) where he was with a couple of mates, down from Salford for a couple of days. Just back from holiday, I said - "d'you know how much a pint is in the Peak District? £2.20!" "Ooh," said his mates, "that's a bit steep." (Apparently they pay £1.80 in their local, and if they're out & about and get asked for anything over £2, they get the hump.)

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I've decided to resurrect this post because I think it's important. As a lover or real beer ,minus the beard & sandals with socks, I find the way drinking is structured these days to be daft. Give me a decent pint of bitter any day or a cider over a lager that tastes like sucking on a scaffold board.:popcorn:
To this end and bearing in mind that I believe that the vast majority of contributors to this forum are sensible drinkers I propose that this post is made a pin-up to include our own cyclist friendly pub guide. Naturally I would prefer if these were to be pubs that served real Beer.
So to start the ball rolling da da da da da da:wahhey: .... The Telegraph Inn, Telegraph Road, Putney Heath.
and The Half Moon, Lower Richmond Road Putney.
and The Prince of Wales, Morden Road, South Wimbledon
and The Bricklayers Arms, Lower Richmond Road, Putney ( with this one you can bring your bikes in the Garden if the weathers fine or lock them up by the river if not. I always carry a plastic bag to put over my saddle anyway. The Zebra crossing is outside The Dukes Head that road is very busy. )

and the rest is up to you to recommend places where we can enjoy a reasonably priced pint of beer with a bit of grub.:hungry: These pubs are also very suitable for the ladies as well. Lets try to keep chains like Slug & Lettuce and All Bar One out of it though. I'm thinking more along the lines of Real Traditional Pubs with Real names and real ale.:cheers:

Mason & Taylor, Bethnal Green Road, Shoreditch
Princess Louise, Holborn (Smith's pub)
Southampton Arms, Kentish Town
Prince Regent, New Cross Road, New Cross
William Morris, Merton Abbey Mills
The Jolly Gardener, 49-51 Black Prince Road, Vauxhall (surprise german tavern!!!)
The White Bear, - Fairchildes Lane, Warlingham, Surrey
Greenwich Union, 56 Royal Hill, Greenwich
The Coach and Greyhound, Dulwich Village
The Dickens Inn, Burr Close - St Katharine's Dock, near Tower Bridge

I know it's a chain and it's full of city boys, but The Crosse Keys, Bank does have A LOT of beer.

And this is actually a restaurant, but Wright Brothers Oyster and Porterhouse has more porters than I have ever seen in one place and they are more than happy to recommend some for you!

Top Bottom