Men and beer... Grrrr!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting thread, with a relevant social aspect.

I, er, started drinking at the age of 13 when I first started playing senior cricket. It wasn't until I was 15, though, that I started drinking a 'bit more.'

I was one of three 'colts' playing on Saturday/Sunday afternoons with the big boys and were well looked after, but certainly put in our places, if we strayed out of line or got too cocky in the clubhouse after the game.

The same applied, if not more so, when I started playing senior rugby at the age of 18. It was a kind of 'social apprenticeship', if you like, where we learnt to respect our elders, know our limitations and place, and behave as well as possible (there were only several dozen episodes of drunken - but never violent or aggressive - behaviour to 'experience').

As I became an elder statesman in the teams, then I, and my contempories, would then 'educate' the younger players. And so the process evolved.

Nowadays, although I haven't lived in England for many years, I feel that youngsters are raised at an early age on strong alco-pops, developing a taste for the 'feeling and confidence' it gave them, with the fact that they either have too much money, or feel that they have no future, so spend their money on getting wasted. Another factor is that they had no 'older group' to hang around with and find their place. There also seems to be, IMO, too many fighting for the dominant alpha male role, resulting in fight, violence and gang warfare.

I may have wandered away from the point here, and may be wide off the mark, but it is my opinion, nonetheless. :cheers: :thumbsup:

Just want to add that the girls' cricket and rugby teams at uni (1995-1999) were just as capable as the lads were when it came to getting wasted: unfortunately, they drank large amounts of very strong lagers very quickly. xx(

For the most part, I drank only real ale (between 3.8% and 5% ABV) and got drunk slowly

BTW, I think Aperitif will be able to identify and verify the above.

U

User169

As a lover or real beer ,minus the beard & sandals with socks, I find the way drinking is structured these days to be daft. Give me a decent pint of bitter any day or a cider over a lager that tastes like sucking on a scaffold board.:popcorn:
Nothing wrong with a decent lager or decent cider – it can be as “real” as bitter.

Yes - Dayvo is right about the 'apprenticeship'...it is easy to tell who sits on their hands and who is 'time-served''! :rolleyes:
(When I started playing senior cricket - at the not-too distant age of 14, Courage Best was 1/10d a pint. It was a very low learning curve to realise that a better drink was light & bitter, not because it 'livened up' the brew, but it meant a whole lot more than a pint...at our Club anyway!
A subtle change came about when people started laughing at others, rather than with them - but I think it has a whole lot depending on the hierarchy, the 'team' - things that laid the foundation for a continuation by drink...

Good post Globalti - interesting.

As for being looked after by my elders and betters during imbibery, I used to play darts after the cricket and it was always 'loser buys the beer' (except schoolkids!) I became excellent, nay unbeatable at darts and was always driven to my parent's and propped up against the front door. I have had years of practice since - and I'm not getting any better.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Mason & Taylor, Bethnal Green Road, Shoreditch
Princess Louise, Holborn (Smith's pub)
Southampton Arms, Kentish Town
Prince Regent, New Cross Road, New Cross
William Morris, Merton Abbey Mills
The Jolly Gardener, 49-51 Black Prince Road, Vauxhall (surprise german tavern!!!)
The White Bear, - Fairchildes Lane, Warlingham, Surrey
Greenwich Union, 56 Royal Hill, Greenwich
The Coach and Greyhound, Dulwich Village
The Dickens Inn, Burr Close - St Katharine's Dock, near Tower Bridge

I know it's a chain and it's full of city boys, but The Crosse Keys, Bank does have A LOT of beer.

And this is actually a restaurant, but Wright Brothers Oyster and Porterhouse has more porters than I have ever seen in one place and they are more than happy to recommend some for you!

I like you, this is a great and unexpected reply. Of all these pubs I've only been in two of them thats the William Morris and The Dickens Inn.
Another one I'd mention is The Alma Arms on Old York Road, Wandsworth. They have loads of bike racks outside so I assume they're very cyclist friendly although this could be because of Wandsworth Town Station Opposite.

Anyway the William Morris is very local to me at Merton Abbey Mills and I go there to the weekend craft market once every couple of months. If you & your partner are cycling there PM me and as long as I get the message in time I'll cycle over for a drink.
It'll be my first CC meet. Well second actually.

U

User482

I think there's a simpler explanation: relative to income, the price of a pint is much lower now than it was 30 or 40 years ago. People didn't get drunk because they couldn't afford to.

Has Holts improved a lot? I recall it as being particularly disgusting...

subaqua

What’s the point
Mason & Taylor, Bethnal Green Road, Shoreditch
Princess Louise, Holborn (Smith's pub)
Southampton Arms, Kentish Town
Prince Regent, New Cross Road, New Cross
William Morris, Merton Abbey Mills
The Jolly Gardener, 49-51 Black Prince Road, Vauxhall (surprise german tavern!!!)
The White Bear, - Fairchildes Lane, Warlingham, Surrey
Greenwich Union, 56 Royal Hill, Greenwich
The Coach and Greyhound, Dulwich Village
The Dickens Inn, Burr Close - St Katharine's Dock, near Tower Bridge

I know it's a chain and it's full of city boys, but The Crosse Keys, Bank does have A LOT of beer.

And this is actually a restaurant, but Wright Brothers Oyster and Porterhouse has more porters than I have ever seen in one place and they are more than happy to recommend some for you!

its as sterile as boiled water though. absoluterly no atmosphere. good beers though.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/14/14687/North_Star/Leytonstone

North Star Leytonstone - the Narnia comment is absolutely true. reminds me of the Bluebell and/or Fox and Grapes in Hawarden

I can't agree with the comments about Ciders and Lagers further up , a proper decent German lager can be as good as if not better than a "british " bitter.

Ciders that are fizzy and super chilled are wrong , a nice cider should be only slightly sparkly and at a shade below room temp. no bloody ice like that magners gash

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
its as sterile as boiled water though. absoluterly no atmosphere. good beers though.

Who needs company, when you have beer?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Who needs company, when you have beer?
Or as the Furry Freak Brothers used to say...
frank01.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mention of pub rituals always reminds me of this classic sketch from the Fast Show

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGBTrCZObyA

Ha ha ha - I was talking to a friend the other day and for some unknown reason suddenly tomato decided aubergine to potato start turnip talking carrots like asparagus that. Tomato she aubergine looked potato at turnip me carrots as asparagus if broccoli I tomato was aubergine completely potato mad! (She was not a fan of The Fast Show :thumbsup:)

007fair

I have to confess (maybe I don't, but I will) that when working down in London 15 years ago there was nothing better than a loud Pub with work colleagues where lots of nice looking people hung out and all you drank was bottles of Bud (The advantage of which is only 1/2 pint for each round so you can keep up!).
Now a days a pub with no music and good real ale (Greenmantle anyone?) where you can resolve all world's troubles with friends is perfect. Maybe we just have to let the young be young? At some point they will not be able to get home / pull / remember / afford .. and they will ask themselves just why are they doing this?

Top Bottom