Men/Women Equality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I keep getting bombarded with mailshots suggesting Father's Day gifts. The last one was from the WWT, which I've been a member of for years .I finally snapped and sent a reply saying it was all very well, but would they help me dig him up so that I could give the gift to him. To be fair to them, they did send an apology .

Everybody is getting better, treating girls and boys the same, but this caught my eye on Amazon

Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944: Perfect for Father’s Day Hardcover
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arnhem-Battle-Bridges-Antony-Beevor/dp/0670918660

Now why is this perfect for Father's Day?
Would it ever be suggested as perfect for Mother's day?

It doesn't appeal to me, but my wife's Uncle died at Arnhem. He was a parachutist and dropped into the fierce fighting where they were waiting. My wife actually bought a copy of the book yesterday and had I known, it would have been a perfect gift for Mother's Day or her Birthday.
I'm going to posit that Amazon isn't the one being sexist. The reason that women are excluded from military history, is because woman have been excluded from the military.

My father was a serious reader and collector of military history. We recently sold his library for several thousand pounds (which is notable in these days where second hand books are mostly worthless). He was also a part time soldier, becoming a brigadier several years before he retired. Meanwhile, 30 years younger, I briefly toyed with a military career, but found out I that Duntroon (Australia's equivalent of Sandhurst where you got a full degree from ANU along with your officer training) did not take women. I could only do a years officer training at Portsea which in practical terms would max out at major - with a few notable exceptions.

Is it any wonder I am less interested in military history than he was? Of course, his formative years were during WWII, while mine were Vietnam, so there are other factors. My brothers are no more interested in military history than I am. But I think it totally explains my mother's passing interest compared with my father's passion. As you yourself say, you wife's interest comes from her father's involvement.

It's not just oz, of course. Sandhurst only had it's first female graduate ready for the frontline last year.

So, yeah, if Amazon are still saying military histories are only for men in 30 years, I will have issue with them. In the meantime, my issues will be with military.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
[QUOTE 5277216, member: 259"]There's a particularly revolting short sleeved shirt in the Grauniad's top ten Father's Day gift selection. I must be getting old(er). Anyway, it would clash with my crimplene flares.

View attachment 414307 [/QUOTE]
They couldn't even sew the pocket on straight.

Perfect for who ? My grandad who was in the war is long dead ?
Condolences.

But there are still quite a few WWII veterans left, and of course - as the OP specifies - their children are interested too.

And as I hope we are all aware, there is a class of people - not homogeneously male, but majority male - who are interested in military history.

Top Bottom