Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I got my old JVC HIFI working properly this week - the volume and balance was a bit crackly on the slider controls. A liberal spray of electrical cleaner (I love that stuff) and it's all working properly again. Nearly 30 years of dust probably.
I had a can of that cleaner but I can't find it anywhere. I know I hadn't used it all up so it should be around somewhere. :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Shamelessly inspired by another thread...

There's been a bit of an environmental theme on the forum of late, and today a wise man commented on these hallowed forums that it's kinder to the environment to repair something and keep it going.

This got me thinking...what have you bodged, repaired, or otherwise coaxed back into life? Everything from clothes and furniture through to cars and houses, if you've mended it when others would have simply bought another then tell us about it.

I run a farm -

Without bits of old wire, baler twine, and cable ties, the place would not function :laugh:

I'm fiddling with a model kit boat which I'm hoping to radio control. As it needs an electric motor and I'm doing it as cheaply as possible, I thought that a motor from an old small hand vacuum cleaner might be suitable . I dismantled the cleaner and removed the motor , I think is should be suitable, it has a voltage range of 1.5 to 10.8 volts. I'm not sure if the batteries will be suitable , I'll if they will take a charge .

As mentioned elsewhere, I upgraded an old Samsung tablet (2013, old!) to extend its life a bit.
But the lack of the old Samsung TouchWiz UI is irritating, so I've blown Kitkat 4.4.2 back on to it, and will set about loading it with old versions of the apps I want to use on it. I cordially detest the fast obsolescence of IT. Where my son works, they no longer even try to repair laptops and pcs, they're jyst binned out of hand. Grrrr....
:cursing:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. The growth of emissions caused by electricity usage for IT purposes and data storage is due to soon outstrip transport. Chuck in the emissions, other pollution ,and waste of raw materials from perpetually manufacturing new IT gear with a short lifespan and chucking it in landfill when it does, and it's becomes a frighteningly damaging and wasted endeavour.

Yet the peace hippies who lecture others about car use will have the latest ibone every years without a second thought...

Venod

Eh up
Too much stuff to mention I have saved lawnmowers, Vacuum Cleaners, Washing mMachines, Driers, Kettles, Bikes, Cars, the mechanical stuff comes easy to me but its the electrical that gives most satisfaction, a hard disc video that died, I fitted new capacitors and its as good as new, a TV fitted new screen LEDs now working again, lots of computers brought back to life, phone screens and firmware flashing, camera screens, and loads more stuff, there has also been failures but far more have been successful.

I've repaired things all my life, from cars to household goods. It's become so bad I've repaired repairs!
My weakness is anything electronic. I just can't get my head around it. I'd really like to learn more as it bugs me I have to consult with my Son in law ( I really mean get him to fix it:sad:).
It started when I was really skint as teenager but now it is now more of a hobby and a challenge.

The screen on one of my spare mobile phone was covered in tiny scratches. A website recommended polishing them out with toothpaste but it didn't work. I then tried some 'Brasso' and they disappeared after about 10 minutes.
Can you report back on that. Your screen still there? I bought some of the silvery brasso wadding recently for use on bike bits and noticed lots of somewhat alarming h and s warnings on the tin. I had a questionable attraction as a kid to the smell of the brasso tin.

Well, now you have brought this back to life...

It turns out that my apps will not run on the old tablet or the old phone because they are running ancient versions of Android and the hardware is old hat too. I have bought a modern tablet, and have donated the phone to a friend who is using it as a handy radio, satnav and camera. For some obscure reason she won't take the SIM out of her old 'dumb' phone and put it in this one so she carries both devices! :wacko:
Maybe she's the suspicious sort. Thinks you have bugged it in some way?

Top Bottom