Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm fiddling with a model kit boat which I'm hoping to radio control. As it needs an electric motor and I'm doing it as cheaply as possible, I thought that a motor from an old small hand vacuum cleaner might be suitable . I dismantled the cleaner and removed the motor , I think is should be suitable, it has a voltage range of 1.5 to 10.8 volts. I'm not sure if the batteries will be suitable , I'll if they will take a charge .
Please report back on your fixing of the vacuum cleaner.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Indeed. The growth of emissions caused by electricity usage for IT purposes and data storage is due to soon outstrip transport. Chuck in the emissions, other pollution ,and waste of raw materials from perpetually manufacturing new IT gear with a short lifespan and chucking it in landfill when it does, and it's becomes a frighteningly damaging and wasted endeavour.

Yet the peace hippies who lecture others about car use will have the latest ibone every years without a second thought...

Well by 2030, add in all the leccy cars too. :whistle:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I replaced a broken camera glass on a Samsung Galaxy S10 last week thanks to a replacement glass kit at £8 on Amazon and a helpful YouTube video and a craft knife... repair shops wanted £80-100.

I've also twice replaced sticking joysticks on a couple of my daughter's Nintendo Switch Joycons (see below) that were causing characters to wander randomly. Again there is a kit on Amazon (including precision tools, cost was about a tenner for two sticks plus tools) and a YouTube tutorial taught me the process. A new pair of Joycons is about £70. It's simple if fiddly, but with the correct tools and good eyesight (or reading glasses in my case) it's doable.

20200604_213748.jpg

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Can you report back on that. Your screen still there? I bought some of the silvery brasso wadding recently for use on bike bits and noticed lots of somewhat alarming h and s warnings on the tin. I had a questionable attraction as a kid to the smell of the brasso tin.
Yes - the screen is still clear. It's on a Samsung GT-E2121B.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've been busy in the garage this morning listening to the BBC World Service and getting a 15 year old Ridgeback Speed back in service, so that a friend doesn't dash off to give Halfords money for whatever new bike they have in stock. Greased bearings, wheels trued, new inner tube, gears indexed, new chain and new lights. £25.

If I have counted correctly this is the 15th bike I have put back into a usable condition in 2020.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had a very old long shaft Seagull outboard where the head gasket appeared to have failed. Stripped it down and found the cylinder head and the cylinder top were badly pitted and were the root of the problem. Filled all the holes with Plastic Padding and reassembled. Worked perfectly for years and was still going when I sold it along with the boat.
Littlemill Distillery when I stared there in 1960 was in a very decrepit state and required constant repairs and bodges to keep going. Managed to keep full production going for about 3 years until we got a complete overhaul. We also built a completely automated maltings from 'back of envelope " drawings using our own existing workforce. The Managing Director/Owner appeared one day followed by a lorry. "I just got an old skim milk machine at an auction, see what you can do with it for pot ale. Interesting job.

Top Bottom