Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I wasn't too impressed by a new German Autobahn which was featured on Massive Engineering Mistakes this week! It was built to cross a peat bog and they sank 30 metre foundation piles into 50 metre deep peat... The road quickly broke up and started collapsing! :whistle:

They should have done like those canny Scots..

Apparently the train line over the bogs of Rannoch Moor is just supported by a few* floating logs or suchlike.

* there may be slightly moor to it than this.. :rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Such as emissions defeat devices.
"It's what makes a car a Volkswagen..." :whistle:

They should have done like those canny Scots..

Apparently the train line over the bogs of Rannoch Moor is just supported by a few* floating logs or suchlike.

* there may be slightly moor to it than this.. :rolleyes:
The engineers thought that the raft-like road with 30 metres of piling would be stable but they underestimated how squidgy deep peat can be with a heavy load on top.

I think they now have to sink 50 metre piles down to the bedrock.

Gunk

Guru
Fitted a new timer in our 25 year Dualit toaster last week, total cost £12. Now works perfectly

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I heard talk of a proposed law recently that would make all electrical gear repairable, ie, easy to dismantle without special tools, and parts available for a notional period of time after the model goes off sale. I don't know how far the government got with that.

Have replaced a washing machine "window bowl" - bust one of the fittings putting it in but it never leaked until the machine eventually broke down.
The problem of course with many of these things, with companies selling many essentially identical bits of kit under all sorts of names, or not even putting the model number on the front, is figuring out which bit/component you actually need.

I heard talk of a proposed law recently that would make all electrical gear repairable, ie, easy to dismantle without special tools, and parts available for a notional period of time after the model goes off sale. I don't know how far the government got with that.
yep I remember hearing about that.
Wasn't it a European proposal though?

Top Bottom