Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yep I remember hearing about that.
Wasn't it a European proposal though?

Looks like it, from 2021 according to the BBC.

Recently was greeted on arrival be the news that the overn door was broken. It turned out to be the hinge on the 10 year old oven, and after some measuring and faffing about I was able to find a replacement for about 15€. Oven door is very slightly skewed but it doesn't affect performance.
electric oven heating coils are pretty easy to fit as well - they (or mine at least) just plug into spade connectors - so if you can fit a bike dynamo system you can fix your oven for the price of a bit.
Above damn point still applies of course - figuring out which bit you need a bit of a nightmare. My oven has very few identifiers on it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Recently was greeted on arrival in the apartment by the news that the oven door was broken. It turned out to be the hinge on the 10 year old oven, and after some measuring and faffing about I was able to find a replacement for about 15€. Oven door is very slightly skewed but it doesn't affect performance.
Now there's a coincidence... I thought that the hinge had broken on mine last week. On close inspection, it turned out to be caused by a bolt falling out. I managed to retrieve it from the side of the oven and refitted it. Good as new now.

ColinJ

Of course, the flip side of all this is that the internet is such a wonderful resource for quickly finding out how to go about repairing practically anything.
Unless your problem is that you have lost your internet connection! :okay:

I had that problem last week. Fortunately, I have an emergency 0.5 GB/month on my mobile which kept me going for 3 days until Openreach sorted it out.

It struck me that a vulnerable person living somewhere remote without a decent mobile signal could be in big trouble with a problem like that.

There are not many public street telephones left and with businesses closed due to Covid-19 a lot of the indoor ones are not accessible.

Thanks.

This line in there:
"If British firms want to sell into Europe after Brexit they will have to follow the new rules, which apply from April 2021."

so I assume that one way or another Brits will get the benefit of it?

I suspect that will be the case in a lot of areas: the CE standard is widely recognised as Gold Standard worldwide so I think many companies in the UK will keep using it, and of course anything made in the EU and sold in the UK will be of that standard too. Also a company in the US or Japan probably will just sell the same items in the UK as the EU, which means they will be to European standards as well.

Last edited:

ColinJ

To be fair... I think that was probably a case of a young call centre worker being distracted by updates to her Facebook wall at work while taking the call, rather than it being company policy to hang onto dead customers!

Trickedem

Guru
As we've now started doing ovens. The handle on our grill broke. Managed to get a replacement on eBay. This didn't quite work. However, I drilled some new holes and pop rivetted the handle on. Works a treat.
IMG_20201220_171956.jpg

As we've now started doing ovens. The handle on our grill broke. Managed to get a replacement on eBay. This didn't quite work. However, I drilled some new holes and pop rivetted the handle on. Works a treat. View attachment 564249
Thanks for that. Am starting to explore the possibilities of rivets for various purposes, some unmentionable. Chicago screws are also handy - have already made a belt with an old inner tube using those.

Top Bottom