Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

irw

Quadricyclist
Yep, thats the sort. It's origins are lost in the mists of time, but it probably came from somewhere like Argos, or maybe even Woolworths.

Argos or Wilkinsons would have been where mine came from.

Here they are in all their 'student flat' glory before they started literally falling apart as a result of many house moves!
PC200013.JPG

(I have no idea what the figures in the bottom right of the screen where doing...From the logo in the top left, it was definitely 'The Hits' music channel, and not something of a more questionable nature!)

bagpuss

Guru
Made from material remnants , hours of work by Mrs B . Picture of quilt prior to assembly.
50836245307_6a2afaaccb_o.jpg Quilt made by Mrs B by rebalrid, on Flickr

There's been a bit of an environmental theme on the forum of late, and today a wise man commented on these hallowed forums that it's kinder to the environment to repair something and keep it going.
"Hallowed" don't you mean hollow? Most people on this and in general just pay lips service to the environmentel issues.
That aside.
A lot albeit not all of my clothes I will take to the seamstress to have repaired. Quite often it would be cheaper to bin them. But if you like that shirt etc then I rather have them repaired. I have had a polo shirt which my daughters bought me at least 20 years ago, repaired numerous times. I have to be very careful putting it on as I often put my finger through it. A pair of walking boots which has been resoled 4 maybe 5 times. Bought secondhand on eBay, as have most of my clothes.
This is something I repaired myself. Again I liked it and this time I saved money.
IMG_20201228_130609_5.jpg

Inside the case

IMG_20201228_130637_1.jpg

Outside

Suitcase always loaded to extreme nowadays going and coming back. Handle broke off changing trains. Had to carry it extremely heavy. Put bolts into hold together. I think it's stronger now that it was originally. Took ages to do as the dog would not leave me alone. Thought I was going on holiday without her. Stupid dog.

Wellies always have problems with wellies. Quality ones (I was looking at £200 pair!)
They are just to hard to get on off. Not just difficult but painful. My ankles are probably lacking flexibility!? My daughter bought me a quality pair of Hunters no use. Gave them to her boyfriend. Brother sent me a pair of Canadian hunters (massive insulation and the top can be adjusted to stop snow coming in) again rubbish. As I often forget things and will go in and out 3or 4 times just to walk the dog. Cheapo wellies no problem getting on and off.
IMG_20210108_113548_8.jpg

IMG_20210109_193709_5.jpg

Couldn't be bothered going in town to get new ones so.
Tried puncture repair glue useless. Super glue bees knees. Repaired a couple of weeks ago. Going strong. So in essence not really thinking of the environment just being lazy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210114_194316_2.jpg
    IMG_20210114_194316_2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Most of these are used gravel boards and posts. The back posts are 6 foot the front ones are 5foot and new.
IMG_20210104_130403_3.jpg

I am at this stage.
IMG_20210112_144510_5.jpg

I have taken about 3 weeks to get to this stage (no more than 2 hours a day. It's taken me this long due to an ongoing illness called progressive bone idleness. The soil is clay, chalk (no not the stuff used on blackboards) and flint. I have to lay down to bail out the holes if it rains. Yesterday I had to stop as instead of the clay becoming sticky it had turn to slip and the hole was caving in? To save using tons of concrete which would have resulted in a significant increase in greenhouse gases I decided to stop. Pity I desperately wanted to continue digging a hole in the rain, instead of walking the dog...honest.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
One of my old Creative Zen Touches started not responding to the buttons reliably. Been here before (they are something like 15 years old now, so I don't feel that hard done by), so I got out the mini screwdriver and the isopropyl alcohol and half an hour later, ta-da!....

1610722907548.png

Good as new!

I do like things that have been put together with screws. ^_^

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What is it?
An MP3 player. 20Gb of rocking tunes, funky cat. Put it on random and boogy on down. :becool:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a bit of wireless mouse mending-and-making-do t'other evening. The e-rodent in question had been kindly donated by @slowmotion. It worked well apart from sometimes doing double-clicks when the left button had only been clicked once. It was really annoying. A YouTube video suggested that friction between a little plastic rod into the microswitch below the button top might be the problem. It seemed unlikely, but it was an easy thing to check. It took me less than 5 minutes to get inside the mouse and put drops of lube on the plastic rod into each microswitch, and another drop to smooth the turning of the scroller wheel. I was pretty amazed to discover that it DID fix the double-click problem!

Missus once told me, she had to make do with me . 33 years later she still is .
She has made do, but did you mend your ways...? :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not mend it,more keep it till it's falling to pieces.

I have a 'smart price' Aldi 3 year old kettle still in use,while i have 2 almost brand new far better kettles given to me by neighbours.
I have a £1 laptop mouse still working despite being dropped,walked on and tea spilt on it,even though i have a unopened £10 mouse sat here.
I have a brand new 'luxury' dog bed waiting to be taken out of the packaging,while still using (mutt not me) a 2 year old chewed here and there one.

I believe in getting the last drop of use/life out of things.

Top Bottom