Mend it and make do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve refurbished another one, this time a c.1958 Marconiphone T62DA. Similar story, internet radio via a Pi Zero. Things were made easier for connecting audio by this set having a ‘Gram’ input. Once again, a few capacitors needed replacing, including this one across the mains input that had gone pop some time ago by the look of it.
The crackly volume and tone control needed cleaning, but otherwise everything worked OK. Both dial bulbs still lit up too. :smile:

This has the same web interface as before for station selection, but this time I’ve also used the waveband selector to allow one of four presets to be chosen on the radio itself.

I’m quite pleased to have saved another piece of domestic heritage from ending up in landfill.
3AC2BC49-B340-40CA-8967-CB9A7E62262F.jpeg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My washing up bowl cracked the other week. I've always been a fan of soaking plates,cups,knives and forks etc before washing. When the washing up bowl cracked i used my faithful 'mass utility' (transporting many gallons of water to and from my twin tub washer and soaking peas for mushing the following day among the many tasks it's been used for) bucket to do the washing up. I didn't buy another washing up bowl as i can now soak most if not all items,which i couldn't do in a shallow water washing up bowl.

1617758627507.png

Sadly the bucket has recently developed a crack near to the handle. I might have to let the bucket go to recycling heaven soon.:unsure:

1617759803869.png

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The hole in the floor on my Triumph Herald was no big deal most of the time. It was only when you drove in heavy rain that your feet got drenched.

A mate had a landrover and was carrying some people offroad in the open pickup bit at the back when he came to a ford, so decided to drive through fast to make a big splash and soak those in the back. They spotted what he was up to but could do nothing, but the big bow wave went completely over their heads missing them entirely, however the water underneath shot up in a jet through the rusted footwell soaking the prankster driving, so he was very much hoist on his own petard

Last edited:
A stitch in time salvages a favourite chair cracked during gales.
looks like a nice neat job!

recently discovered why the MTB wired computer wasn't working. broken wires. I've repaired them before. previously, they broke due to rubbing against the front tire. so when I repaired them the 1st time, I tried an elaborate zip tie arrangement to keep the wires away from the front wheel. but I think I didn't have enough slack or it got grabbed by some object on one of my many falls. gave it another repair & it still wasn't working. tried a spare magnet & it started working. hmmm what are the odds a wheel magnet goes bad? gave it a loose zip tie this time, so here's hoping for a few more miles before I rip them apart again. a wireless computer would be better, but all my bikes use the same cheap wired one, so it's convenient as all heck that they are interchangeable. plus the computers are wicked easy to use & reset after ea. ride. fiddling w/ tiny wires in a breeze w/ a soldering iron, liquid insulation & heat shrink tubing was a bit awkward
P1140391.JPG

P1140400.JPG

no pics of soldering, guess I was a bit busy w/ the task at hand to photo the tiny amount of solder used anyway
P1140401.JPG

P1140402.JPG

P1140403.JPG

glass tables are so fun to photo tiny things on
P1140408.JPG

D

Deleted member 1258

recently discovered why the MTB wired computer wasn't working. broken wires. I've repaired them before. previously, they broke due to rubbing against the front tire. so when I repaired them the 1st time, I tried an elaborate zip tie arrangement to keep the wires away from the front wheel. but I think I didn't have enough slack or it got grabbed by some object on one of my many falls. gave it another repair & it still wasn't working. tried a spare magnet & it started working. hmmm what are the odds a wheel magnet goes bad? gave it a loose zip tie this time, so here's hoping for a few more miles before I rip them apart again. a wireless computer would be better, but all my bikes use the same cheap wired one, so it's convenient as all heck that they are interchangeable. plus the computers are wicked easy to use & reset after ea. ride. fiddling w/ tiny wires in a breeze w/ a soldering iron, liquid insulation & heat shrink tubing was a bit awkward
View attachment 583543
View attachment 583544
no pics of soldering, guess I was a bit busy w/ the task at hand to photo the tiny amount of solder used anyway
View attachment 583545
View attachment 583546
View attachment 583547
glass tables are so fun to photo tiny things on
View attachment 583548

With those I usually use electrical tape to tidy up the wires and stop them flapping about.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My washing up bowl cracked the other week. I've always been a fan of soaking plates,cups,knives and forks etc before washing. When the washing up bowl cracked i used my faithful 'mass utility' (transporting many gallons of water to and from my twin tub washer and soaking peas for mushing the following day among the many tasks it's been used for) bucket to do the washing up. I didn't buy another washing up bowl as i can now soak most if not all items,which i couldn't do in a shallow water washing up bowl.

View attachment 582725

Sadly the bucket has recently developed a crack near to the handle. I might have to let the bucket go to recycling heaven soon.:unsure:

View attachment 582726
I was always breaking my washing up bowls... until I splashed out on Aldi's 'premier' soft grip bowl.

Premier-Grey-Soft-Grip-Bowl-Black-A.jpg

...for the extortionate sum of £1.99, from Aldi of all places. It's indestructible!

Top Bottom