Mending other peoples bikes for free ,good idea or bad ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
In the present lock down situation ,no work, run out of things to do at home ,I have signed up to both Royal Voluntary service and the local council but not heard anything yet and have been wondering about offering to fix local bikes in our village for free ,maybe on facebook though I have never used it, but I am a tinkerer not a cycle mechanic so have no insurance and I am worried about someone suing me if things go wrong ,I am talking about just making a bike work properly again ,blow up tyres ,oil and adjust things not supply and fit parts ,thought it might encourage some new cyclist to give it a try ,just wondered what others think bad idea or what .

Slick

Guru
I think its a great idea, how likely you are to be sued is anyone's guess but I'm sure someone will work out your exact chances.

That said, I still think it's a great idea, especially if it encourages someone back out on a bike that's been lying at the back of the shed for a while. Do you need to advertise, could you not voice your intentions in the local and see what happens?

classic33

Leg End Member
I used to get back the bikes found and handed in to the police, make them road legal and safe then pass them on. Often the only charge made was for parts that needed replacing that had to be bought.

Often the parts may be to hand, previous bikes found too damaged to ride. I then started just fixing their bikes, keeping costs to a minimum. The cost of parts that may need to be bought could well be a greater threat than being sued.

If you're up to it, I'd give it a go. But keep an eye on what you'll be spending.

ozboz

Guru
I have put my name up on the local nextdoor.com page to fix bikes to help people get around , there are two bike shops open locally for bits and bats , but it did cross my mind that it only takes one to decide youve done a dodgy job and trouble may come knocking , but I would help some one out

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A lot of the 'men's shed' type places are doing this. This is the Lancaster one: https://www.facebook.com/lancasteranddistrictmensshed/

The one issue is comeback on you. I've fixed a few - and will still do it for some - but once the person expected not only the bike fixed but all the parts for free as well. Most unused bikes need more than basic maintenance, and that's where costs come in.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
You could offer a free inspection and service, but tell them if any parts are required, they will have to pay for them - and tell them how much the cost would be before doing the work. Also, make it clear that you are not a professional and are just doing this to help them out. Riding the bike afterwards is at their risk (just as it is for any bike rider). Chances are the bike will be in far better condition than when they last rode it.

tom73

Guru
Go for it as long as you stick to what you can do, don't make out your in any way a pro and it's just a free service in the spirt intended
it's fine. If anyone try's to get you in court they'd need to prove you did it with the intent to do harm.
Given the current situation and the growing community sprint. A judge won't be impressed if anyone did try it.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Put the word out on Facebook and have serviced 2 children's bikes today and more in the pipeline, every childs bike i have ever delt with has always been poorly put together one today had every moving part on it too tightly adjusted rather than rusty, how is a child of 6-7 going to have the strength to pedal the thing and it will leave a lasting memory of how difficult a bike is to pedal, maybe the producers are sponsored by the petrochemical industries

classic33

Leg End Member
Put the word out on Facebook and have serviced 2 children's bikes today and more in the pipeline, every childs bike i have ever delt with has always been poorly put together one today had every moving part on it too tightly adjusted rather than rusty, how is a child of 6-7 going to have the strength to pedal the thing and it will leave a lasting memory of how difficult a bike is to pedal, maybe the producers are sponsored by the petrochemical industries
Good for you, hope you enjoy it.

Slick

Guru
Good man. 👍

Gunk

Guru
I’ve thought about doing this, but as @DCLane points out, what do people expect? Parts can be really add up, are people prepared to spend the appropriate amount of money to turn an old dusty shed bike into a proper safe runner? I don’t think many are, I can imagine lots of complaints when the final bill for parts is presented.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've done quite a bit on the bikes of friends and acquaintances since I retired.

For me it has been mostly good, with people being appreciative and happy to pay a few quid to have their bike running well.

Misunderstandings have happened and there are a few people I wouldn't offer to help again and a few who probably wouldn't want my help again!

My advice would be to be as clear as possible about costs and timescales as possible in advance.

Good luck!

iluvmybike

Über Member
As soon as money exchanges hands you have a potential issue as it has technically gone from 'a favour to a friend' to a 'commercial' transaction'. Given the propensity for people to to sue each other in today's society you need to ask yourself if it is worth the 'risk'? If sued & without insurance then you could lose your house and other assets. You may say that your mates would never sue you -but if tehre is an accident their family may well might. Worth pondering on.. This is the reason why business have to pay out a small fortune in business insurance...

Top Bottom