Mending other peoples bikes for free ,good idea or bad ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
As soon as money exchanges hands you have a potential issue as it has technically gone from 'a favour to a friend' to a 'commercial' transaction'. Given the propensity for people to to sue each other in today's society you need to ask yourself if it is worth the 'risk'? If sued & without insurance then you could lose your house and other assets. You may say that your mates would never sue you -but if tehre is an accident their family may well might. Worth pondering on.. This is the reason why business have to pay out a small fortune in business insurance...
The way round that, money exchanging hands, is to tell them what parts* are required and let them buy them and you'd fit them for free.

*Usually tyres, innertubes and cables.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a noble idea, but you want some liability insurance. That your did it for free won't help when someone crashes, chops their head off, and blames you. You can still be liable for a freebie.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I tried fixing up bikes for cash when I was in between jobs and I very quickly learned the simple facts:

1 - There's nothing more dispiriting than being handed a neglected bike and expected to repair it when you know the owner doesn't care.

2 - No matter how much you charge, you can't make a living from it. Don't forget you have to charge for the time each end of the job as well as working time.

3 - People are not prepared to pay for spares, they just expect you to "fix it up".

4 - Working on cheap bikes is a nightmare as they are not manufactured to precision standards.

5 - If you haven't got a proper bike stand in a warm, well-lit workshop with decent tools, bending over bikes and sitting on the floor will quickly ruin your back.

In other words: forget it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
No money will be exchanged that is rule number one, if they want to buy parts i will fit them. I've done kids bikes so far and they have been mostly newish but left out in all weathers so a bit of oil, adjustment and check over and supose the risks is there but this is our chance to convert some potentially new cyclists on to the road at a time when the roads are so much quieter and the experience for them so much more enjoyable now more than anytime in the past has this a better chance of success and if these young kids remember riding a bike that actually works, they might not be completely swept away by car culture.

Ok give it a go and i will see what I think
Edit as you see fit.

This is a volunteer ‘Doctor Bike’ service.

We offer:

Free bicycle safety inspections and repair estimates

Free labour on repairs

Cost price on any parts fitted

Free and impartial advice on all aspects of cycling

Our aim is to encourage cycling by providing a free/low cost maintenance and repair service to keep people’s wheels turning.

All work is undertaken to the highest standard. However, this is not a commercial operation and as such we don’t carry third party liability insurance. We accept no liability for any loss, damage, inconvenience or otherwise caused as a result of us working on your bike including without limitation all indirect and consequential losses and/or damages. Therefore we ask you to sign to confirm that you understand that all repairs are undertaken at your own risk.

Customer Name: ……………………………….

Signed: …………………………………………. Date: …………………

Bike make and model: ……………………………………………….

Description of work undertaken: ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….……………………………………………………………………………..

Dr Bike Signed: …………………………

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
While all this liability paperwork is all very sensible and put forward by people with more knowledge on legal accounts than me. I would not be put off at all. The chances are someone being seriously injured by bicycle failure is probably as close to nil as possible. Be more worried about Dick in his Range Rover ploughing over you quite frankly than someone coming at you with a legal claim. Its noble to get people on bikes and keep them there!

alicat

Legendary Member
Free and impartial advice on all aspects of cycling

I might swop the word 'advice' for 'guidance'. It's less strong and less likely to get you into hot water if you come across the wrong sort of punter.

Be aware that no disclaimer can protect you from a personal injury claim.

Public/third party liability insurance is v cheap. If it helps you pass the time in lockdown, I'd investigate it.

dodgy

I had a side hustle repairing bikes about 20 odd years ago, they were mostly in the medium to high quality range as they were people I knew and friends of friends who were all cyclists. The bikes were always clean, but just needed new headsets/bottom brackets/cables, simple enough jobs, but some people don't like tackling these themselves.

Anyway, I didn't have any trouble at all and only stopped when I moved house. Fast forward to today 2020, I'd be very careful and would only repair decent quality bikes belonging to people I know, but even then I'd be a little nervous, it's so easy to get litigious these days. I had thought about taking this up again on retirement, but this thread has reminded me why I probably won't bother.

… supose the risks is there but this is our chance to convert some potentially new cyclists on to the road at a time when the roads are so much quieter and the experience for them so much more enjoyable now more than anytime in the past has this a better chance of success and if these young kids remember riding a bike that actually works, they might not be completely swept away by car culture.
yes, I agree; today is an excellent opportunity for this. well done for seizing it!

(I think it's worth looking into insurance - you might find that you already have it on your house policy - but it is a *very* low risk that you will be sued, as others have explained.)

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I repaired a puncture in a neighbors BMX yesterday by keeping to the social distancing guidelines, I stood in the road and gave instructions, Lad and Dad were pleased, they had tried to find the puncture in a bucket of water using a fully deflated tube and had applied a patch to wet glue, 10 mins all was fixed, that included sending the bike back to dad to tighten the chain.
In this environment that we have at the moment it will be difficult to accept bikes that have been cleaned down appropriately

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Great idea
But you need to wear and take precautions for sure.
Always try and explain what repairs and or adjustments are required before starting the process along with any costs if any .
If new parts required be careful who provides them as if they supply wrong part's then you still can't fix .
I learnt only repair my own bikes years ago after doing some work on a Giant MTB bottom bracket that was making a strange noise a year later the bike came back to me after being left outside all winter and the owner complained why was the chain rusty and seized expecting me to replace foc as I had worked on the same area and must have caused it .
Now I just recommend using the lbs and let them get on with it .

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You might just want to mention something about damage and breakages. Nothing worse than working on someone's property, then a part breaks becasue it's mullered or just badly made rubbish, then the person says you broke it and need to fund the replacement

Top Bottom