Mercedes A180d 2017 model. DPF question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Take the EV talk elsewhere. Let's try and help the Saline Canine instead.

It's going to be one of two likely culprits, a sensor of the filter. Chuck some Cataclean in the tank and give it a good thrashingm should help the filter. If its a pressure or differential sensor then you'll know soon enough if it acts up again.

Also check the battery is fully charged, and do a drop test on it. Modern cars are very voltage sensitive and a battery that's getting on a bit can be enough to throw up spurious faults.

I can recommend the iCarSoft readers. I have the Volvo specific V2.0 and it's worth it's weight in EV batteries, saved me its purchase price first ti e I used it, A Merc specific one is about £136, or an all-makes-all-systems one about £180.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, newish petrol cars have a GPF to catch particulates (GDI is bad for causing these; older port injection engines run cleaner, if slightly less efficiently). As yet, these don't seem to cause problems.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree about giving it a belt.

My Vauxhall Meriva benefited from one every couple of months.

To avoid unwanted attention, it's best to use a lower gear to get the revs up at a lower road speed.

Drago

Legendary Member
For what it's worth, newish petrol cars have a GPF to catch particulates (GDI is bad for causing these; older port injection engines run cleaner, if slightly less efficiently). As yet, these don't seem to cause problems.

That's because VW Group fit them as a PR stunt to prove how saintly they are following being caught fiddling the emissions figures, not because they're actually useful pieces of kit. In reality they do very little.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I agree about giving it a belt.

My Vauxhall Meriva benefited from one every couple of months.

To avoid unwanted attention, it's best to use a lower gear to get the revs up at a lower road speed.

Trouble is is an automatic. It does have flappy paddles to go slightly manual but if the car disagrees with your gear selection it will let you have it for about 30 seconds and then take back control and go back to a gear it's happy with.

Spoken to a couple of mechanics near me and they said you don't need to belt it, just accelerate harder but drive normally.

mustang1

Guru
Trouble is is an automatic. It does have flappy paddles to go slightly manual but if the car disagrees with your gear selection it will let you have it for about 30 seconds and then take back control and go back to a gear it's happy with.

Spoken to a couple of mechanics near me and they said you don't need to belt it, just accelerate harder but drive normally.

Can you put it in Sport mode so it keeps a lower gear?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Last resort, read the instructions.

There might be something about regen in the handbook - there was for my Meriva.

november4

This guy knows everything about DPF issues and his videos are helpful. I was able to fix my own DPF by following his instructions to pour cleaner into the DPF from the sensor, not this exact video - i added a merc one

View: https://youtu.be/K2jGDQ3q-uk

Top Bottom