England : Greater Manchester Mere 200 - 27/01/13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mello

If it is cancelled will they post the cancellation up on the Audax web site. I don't fancy travelling up to Cheadle just to check if its off or on!

This was my first try with an Audax event. Any do's or dont's?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This was my first try with an Audax event. Any do's or dont's?
  1. Pace yourself! It is easier to start off steady and speed up later, than it is to go off too fast and grovel later. There is supposed to be a 10 mph southerly wind blowing tomorrow which will be against you for the first half of the ride.
  2. Eat and drink sensibly throughout the ride. I usually struggle to get enough calories in because I would need about 4,000 extra to fuel me for a 200!
  3. Do your own navigation unless the person you are following has a GPS and has the route programmed in! I have told people that they were going the wrong way but they insisted that they knew what they were doing and then got lost.
  4. Take a good lock for your bike, lock it in your car after the event, or take it indoors at event HQ. To a certain extent there is safety in numbers but bikes still get stolen at audax events. I rode this event in 2006 and somebody told me that at least one bike had been stolen the year before.
  5. Try and find some friendly riders to ride with who are riding at a pace that you like.
  6. Most important of all - stay safe and enjoy the ride!

trio25

Über Member
The event is unlikely to be cancelled as such but they may advise not to ride it. As an Audax it is your decision. I'm hopeful as apparently it is melting well in Cheshire. Where I am it is melting but will take a while as we had an extra 8inches overnight.

As to ColinJ's comment about navigation, don't necessarily trust someone with a GPS unless they know now to use it, I often end up popular on these events as I am a reasonable navigator.

My only decision is now which tyres, thinking of ice tyres....

Mello

Guys, Thanks for the feedback. The side roads in Merseyside are still covered in snow and I would not venture out on them on my bike at the moment but hopefully the thaw will kick in or it will rain before it gets cold this evening.

All you advice is noted, I intend doing the ride at a comftable pace and I do have a Garmin and have uploaded the course. I don't have a bike lock but will lock my bike up in my car after the race. I always find it a lot tougher if I end up riding along on my own so I will try to latch on to some of my fellow riders. I intend taking plenty of rations with me. I am expecting the ride to take about 9 hours with feedstation stops.

trio25

Über Member
I seem to take just over 10hours for every 200k I've done. Think tomorrow will be slower as I may just leave my ice tyres on!

tubbycyclist

One weather related apocalypse ended but the others turned up to fill the gap

Tough stuff. Headwind for first 100k, which then dropped for the return leg . Flooded roads that meant my bike now looks like it has seaweed, depth of water up to the knees in places. Patchy ice on the first sections too, and hail stones.

Epic :-)

Top Bottom