Merino base layers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We used to call this stuff underwear back in the days. Then it became thermal underwear and now it is a base layer.
We also used to call wool wool, now it is Merino and Smart Merino. I'm yet to see a smart sheep, but anyway.

Don't expect one "blend" (in the old days we used to mix stuff but now everything is a bloody blend) of wool to be warmer than another. It is the same stuff. Given the same thickness of the garment, its insulation will be the same. In that department, brand names don't matter. Select on style, fit and assembly quality, everything else is self- BS-ing.
a certain truth in this.
If looking for cheap discounted wool baselayers, worth remembering that size isn't too critical - allows you to go for odd sizes - I think I have a Decathlon XXL merino base layer. I'm not remotely XXL.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
a certain truth in this.
If looking for cheap discounted wool baselayers, worth remembering that size isn't too critical - allows you to go for odd sizes - I think I have a Decathlon XXL merino base layer. I'm not remotely XXL.

Although Decathlon is notorious for being on the small side, I would heed this advice. You need close fitting base layers to get maximum thermal benefit. Sorry @Blue Hills , don’t take this the wrong way.

When they say we are all experts on the internet, that’s not entirely true. I am just experter ^_^

If mine should ever wear out (probably not) do you know where I could get some more?
You could undoubtedly get them from the on-line Brynje shop which I linked and which is also linked in your message above :-) I'm not sure where you can go to buy them in a physical shop, but if you know your size in the ones you have then that shouldn't be an issue presumably. The 'super thermo' stuff certainly is remarkably rugged and long lasting, contrary to its appearance!

No offence taken heltor, but thanks for the caution - online discussions can get dangerous.

I suppose I'm a cheapskate/always a sucker for a bargain.
And I freely admit that I have enough aldi merino stuff that that decathlon xxl is still reserved for camping.

I also have a too small example of that norwegian mesh stuff (see above) but that was a mistake - bought in italy - the home of bizarre cycle sizing - for italian men, for reasons best known to themselves, appear to like to be thought of as FBs.
It does still work though, and I think the decathlon will as well- the extra size is really only apparent in the length.

You could undoubtedly get them from the on-line Brynje shop which I linked and which is also linked in your message above :-) I'm not sure where you can go to buy them in a physical shop, but if you know your size in the ones you have then that shouldn't be an issue presumably. The 'super thermo' stuff certainly is remarkably rugged and long lasting, contrary to its appearance!
ok, ta, didn't explore the link - they do definitely need to sort out their marketing.
yes, their stuff is so rugged I'd have no problems buying second hand - something I wouldn't do with any other cycle clothing.

12boy

Guru
I use merino tops and poly/merino bottoms. Since my torso sweats more than my legs and my legs stay warm due to the effort of riding wool on my upper half is better for me than synthetics. I have also found synthetics are smellier than wool, although very warm as well. I have Australian merino long sleeve Tees from 2005 that although frayed and holey still are warm and comfy. If it's really cold I can wear 2.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
...I also have a too small example of that norwegian mesh stuff (see above) but that was a mistake - bought in italy - the home of bizarre cycle sizing - for italian men, for reasons best known to themselves, appear to like to be thought of as FBs....

Easy mistake to make. I did the same but in the form of a female ‘other half’ of a previous Sicilian HC coupling. She was also too small and her temper too bizarre for a mild mannered oik like me.

Easy mistake to make. I did the same but in the form of a female ‘other half’ of a previous Sicilian HC coupling. She was also too small and her temper too bizarre for a mild mannered oik like me.
You are losing me here heltor though it does sound profoundly interesting - one for a natter over a beer perhaps if we should ever meet.
I have no idea what HC means.
Maybe I'm naive.
Beware Italians from southern islands though :smile:
all the best

back to mesh underwear :smile:

ta, though looking at that link maybe I can see where my italian pal was coming from - it does look a bit on the kinky side - maybe they should stress that they only sell to folks who can provide documentary evidence from an upstanding member of the community who can vouch for them being a bona fide cyclist.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I like merino vests but I find they become unbearably itchy when I sweat. (I know some people don't have a problem with this.) I wear a thin Lidl polyester base layer with the merino over it. Anyway, the moths discovered my stash of merino last spring/summer and they've been feasting on it. I'm going to try some more of the Uniqlo Heattech Ultra range which are all synthetic, I think. So far, I think they are excellent.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Last edited:
Top Bottom