Merino base layers...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
I'm on the lookout for a better base layer for cold weather.

Could I get some opinions on:

1. Whether the Endura BaaBaa Blend is better (warmer) than the Endura BaaBaa (i.e. non blend, 100% Merino)
2. Is the Alpkit Kepler good (warm)?
3. Any others I should consider?

I hate the cold, and have a very low tolerance of being cold but this winter I really want to be out on my bike, so warmth is top priority.

Thanks.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I swear by merino. I am a sweater so in the winter I can get cold and clammy even though I have been warm and hot.

The Alpkit undergarments are ok but a pair of leggings did fall to pieces with no explanation. It is thin. Their merino cycling jerseys aren’t great and the pockets sag under any load so I now just use them as base layers. I wouldn’t buy again.

My Tørm jerseys are my current favourite. They also sell base layer merino.

I find the Aldi merino tops good enough - available about twice a year.

I have a few short and long sleeve ones.

I read somewhere recently that when it gets really cold it is good to combine a synthetic string vest thing with a merino base layer.

I think some folks have put this idea into a single garment but I prefer to keep things simple/separate/ use layering.

Luckily I already have some of those vest things - made from old plastic bottles I think - can't remember the manufacturer's odd name - they do stuff for the swedish army I think - maybe some kind soul on here can remind me/us.

I haven't actually combined the two yet but pretty confident that if I did I could comfortably ride in any temperature I'd be minded to.

Whilst I can`t comment on merino base layers I can say that the base layers from Mountain Warehouse are pretty good. I have been using the non merino version for about three years now. More recently I bought a different version which has a zip top and a collar for the neck, as I suffer from cold neck more than a cold body. If it is a bit colder I use armwarmers under the base layer, sounds daft but I stay warm.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Whilst I can`t comment on merino base layers I can say that the base layers from Mountain Warehouse are pretty good. I have been using the non merino version for about three years now. More recently I bought a different version which has a zip top and a collar for the neck, as I suffer from cold neck more than a cold body. If it is a bit colder I use armwarmers under the base layer, sounds daft but I stay warm.

Synthetic smells with me. But I also do the arm warmers doubling up trick. I have muscular arms which also have prominent veins, so if my arms get cold my core temperature drops quickly even though I am naturally hot blooded. In the winter I do rides ride up to 12 hours so I’m keen to manage this.

As an aside: Once my divorce comes through, I must bookmark this paragraph for dating sites in the future. I sound SO attractive.

You, @Blue Hills , may be talking about Brynje, who are Norwegian and I believe used by the Norwegian military (at least). They make a variety of types, but the 'super thermo' range is the one I use for serious cold up mountains and those are very much string vest and synthetic fabric. They do merino things too (now), but really the effectiveness comes from the twin features of a) being hydrophobic material which transports moisture away very effectively indeed, b) the mesh - and we're talking holes about 2-3mm in diameter here - traps warm air.

I use mine on the bike in particularly cold weather but it's important to have a fairly windproof layer, or layers, on top (more important than it is for mountaineering / walking).

Excellent, highly functional kit I think. Robust too.

OldShep

Über Member
I’ve become an absolute convert to Merino I’m constantly wearing Merino or Cashmere. nearly everything I wear cost less than a tenner from a charity shop. No need for any of those fancy talking expensive tops a M&S merino jumper works just as well.
I have bought new though and thoroughly recommend looking at https://uk.dilling.com/Men/Tops-and-t-shirts/ Fortunately there is 20% off tomorrow, Sunday, for one day only.

Synthetic smells with me. But I also do the arm warmers doubling up trick. I have muscular arms which also have prominent veins, so if my arms get cold my core temperature drops quickly even though I am naturally hot blooded. In the winter I do rides ride up to 12 hours so I’m keen to manage this.

As an aside: Once my divorce comes through, I must bookmark this paragraph for dating sites in the future. I sound SO attractive.
Understand about the smell scenario, I only do rides up to 90mins, big difference. I don`t think you have a problem with dates !

I am another who sweats a lot and smells in synthetics. When its a bit cold I wear decathlon Merino baselayers, fairly thin but cheapish and do the job. When it gets really cold I use BAM bamboo baselayers as they are a bit thicker, they do really soak up the sweat though and can get a bit heavy and damp, however don't smell.

We used to call this stuff underwear back in the days. Then it became thermal underwear and now it is a base layer.
We also used to call wool wool, now it is Merino and Smart Merino. I'm yet to see a smart sheep, but anyway.

Don't expect one "blend" (in the old days we used to mix stuff but now everything is a bloody blend) of wool to be warmer than another. It is the same stuff. Given the same thickness of the garment, its insulation will be the same. In that department, brand names don't matter. Select on style, fit and assembly quality, everything else is self- BS-ing.

You, @Blue Hills , may be talking about Brynje, who are Norwegian and I believe used by the Norwegian military (at least). They make a variety of types, but the 'super thermo' range is the one I use for serious cold up mountains and those are very much string vest and synthetic fabric. They do merino things too (now), but really the effectiveness comes from the twin features of a) being hydrophobic material which transports moisture away very effectively indeed, b) the mesh - and we're talking holes about 2-3mm in diameter here - traps warm air.

I use mine on the bike in particularly cold weather but it's important to have a fairly windproof layer, or layers, on top (more important than it is for mountaineering / walking).

Excellent, highly functional kit I think. Robust too.
Ah quite right.
That's them - of the impossible spelling (for a brit).
I was put on to them by a long gone bike shop in London's Covent Garden of all places.
Excellent - basically indestructible - great for touring.
An Italian of my acquaintance mocked them for of course "string vests" have long been seen as naff.
But then a while afterwards I came across them in a southern italian bike shop in a seriously hot place.
For they are also good for hot weather.
And of course Italians know a lot about cycling and clothing.
They seem hard to get hold if in the UK.
If mine should ever wear out (probably not) do you know where I could get some more?

I’ve become an absolute convert to Merino I’m constantly wearing Merino or Cashmere. nearly everything I wear cost less than a tenner from a charity shop. No need for any of those fancy talking expensive tops a M&S merino jumper works just as well.
I have bought new though and thoroughly recommend looking at https://uk.dilling.com/Men/Tops-and-t-shirts/ Fortunately there is 20% off tomorrow, Sunday, for one day only.
cashmere?
Isn't that rather delicate?
Is your cycling some sort of alibi?

see above about Brynje,

Have you considered fishnet tights?

Top Bottom