Pedal based Power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have the Garmin Vectors and have not had a single problem, mind you they were the latest version before being superseded by the Rally. Compared to a Tacx Neo Smart trainer they were about 5 watts higher at around 250 watts, which would be inline with expected drivetrain losses experienced by the Neo. I recently switched to a Neo Bike and the difference is probably only 1-2 watts.

Milzy

Guru
Hello - unsure if this should go in here or in the Training forum, can't find a thread on this topic specifically, in either.

I am looking at pedal based PM's, specifically for SPD-SL cleats. I have seen one or two options, my question is - does anybody have the Garmin rally pedals, if so are they single or double sided option (the PM sensor, not the cleat interface, for avoidance of doubt) and if so what are your experiences of them? I have read a couple of reviews stating they are liable to overread by some measure (e.g. 30-40watts, which is a helluvalot).

In addition, does anybody have experience of FAVERO ASSIOMA DUO-SHI pedal thread based PM?

Option 3 - SRAM GXP compatible crank based PM's, e.g Stages (not easy to source) - I have a stages 105 crank for my HT2 based bike/s and am happy with it so maybe this is another option but as mentioned not that easy to come by.

TIA,
SD
FAVERO ASSIOMA DUO are amazing. Have to be the best out there at that price point. Battery lasts a very long time. They flash orange as you pedal along too.

mjd1988

Guru
Hello - unsure if this should go in here or in the Training forum, can't find a thread on this topic specifically, in either.

I am looking at pedal based PM's, specifically for SPD-SL cleats. I have seen one or two options, my question is - does anybody have the Garmin rally pedals, if so are they single or double sided option (the PM sensor, not the cleat interface, for avoidance of doubt) and if so what are your experiences of them? I have read a couple of reviews stating they are liable to overread by some measure (e.g. 30-40watts, which is a helluvalot).

In addition, does anybody have experience of FAVERO ASSIOMA DUO-SHI pedal thread based PM?

Option 3 - SRAM GXP compatible crank based PM's, e.g Stages (not easy to source) - I have a stages 105 crank for my HT2 based bike/s and am happy with it so maybe this is another option but as mentioned not that easy to come by.

TIA,
SD

Did you go for the assiomas in the end @Sittingduck ?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorry been a bad week. Nothing purchased yet and I think I am going to say no to the assiomas.
I would have already gone for vector or rally but the spd sl variants seem harder to come by and never on sale or in stock. And I refuse to switch cleat systems to Keo.

I was actually very close to pulling the trigger on a 4i ultegra crank for one of the other bikes instead, as in the past couple of weeks I have had to promote the summer aero bike back from turbo hack to future use outdoors duty after an emergency re cabling job forced it off turbo duty and an old hack bike has faithfully taken up the turbo duties again, so it can stay on there now.

long way to answer a short question 😜

mjd1988

Guru
Sorry been a bad week. Nothing purchased yet and I think I am going to say no to the assiomas.
I would have already gone for vector or rally but the spd sl variants seem harder to come by and never on sale or in stock. And I refuse to switch cleat systems to Keo.

I was actually very close to pulling the trigger on a 4i ultegra crank for one of the other bikes instead, as in the past couple of weeks I have had to promote the summer aero bike back from turbo hack to future use outdoors duty after an emergency re cabling job forced it off turbo duty and an old hack bike has faithfully taken up the turbo duties again, so it can stay on there now.

long way to answer a short question 😜

Ah I saw this https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Garmin/Vector-3-Double-Sided-Power-Meter-Pedals/GMVU but it's for look Keos so fair enough

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member

nlmkiii

Thanks for the input all, a lot to mull over and reading of DCR reviews is deffo next on my list. Ideally I don't want to give any more money to Garmin (I hold a grudge over previous poor customer service). So the alternatives are interesting. If only more pedal based options existed that support non LOOK cleat systems and or crank based ones for GXP.

Interesting, as I got the most amazing customer service from Garmin. I had a set of 6-7 year old V2S pedals, and they traded them in in an out of warranty replacement for £175 for the new V3S. I asked about the V3 instead and they just said sure, have those! So I upgraded from old broken V2 single sided, to brand new V3 double sided for £175. then because they were late with delivery by about a month due to Covid problems they refunded me the entire £175 without me even asking!

So basically... I upgraded from a broken old set of V2 single sided, to V3 double sided for free!

I'm now selling those as I'm buying an Etap bike with built in power meters, but I've had zero problems with them at all. No water ingress, even though I kept the bike sat outside in the winter for 3 months (stupid I know, but I did it).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Off topic ... I know some people have bad experiences but Garmin can indeed be oddly generous at times. I have been the fortunate recipient in the past.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Going even more of topic (but ‘trousers started it mods) I’ve had some weird support from Garmin in the past when returning a deaded Tacx Neo 2, likely destroyed by my unholy power output. :whistle:

Although in warranty I would have had to pay delivery to return ( and they weigh a lot!) so I just dropped it off at their HQ in Totton as it’s about 25 minutes drive for me. Although I’d removed most things from the box as instructed they delivered a replacement absolutely naked - it didn’t even have the freehub adaptor! But when I contacted them to moan they got all the missing bits + some spares to me asap. I don’t think they’re malevolent, just too big.

Risking locks and banz for OTness, does anyone remember the Limits pedal power meter debacle?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
They should just be more consistent, imho and perhaps stop expanding (like gobbling up Tacx). Glad to hear some of you have lucked out with service but for me they can do one… just sayin 🙃

I have since ordered a 4i 105 crank for 238 quid from Rutland cycling, it should be arriving soon. Although this will not actually resolve the original problem (providing power data for the SRAM x1 equipped bike) it will give me power on the summer bike that has now been pressed back into service and was ridden on an outdoor ride last week (for the first time in over 2 years).

still thinking about pedals for the other bike, will likely hold off until later in the year, maybe pedal based options will be on sale and actually in stock sometime soon…

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
They should just be more consistent, imho and perhaps stop expanding (like gobbling up Tacx). Glad to hear some of you have lucked out with service but for me they can do one… just sayin 🙃
Fairynuff. TBH I wish they had a bit more competition across the cycling tech arena to sharpen them up, rather than just hoovering up anyone who gets in their way. I've met a couple of people who work for them in Southampton and I get the very same impression as you get from customers. Some love it, for others it pays the bills but they're not enthusiastic.

There was a time a couple of years ago when I considered bunging them a speculative CV as I've got certain skills but in the end decided against it. I've worked for a US /global megacorp before and I much prefer smaller companies.

Top Bottom