Pedal based Power meter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello - unsure if this should go in here or in the Training forum, can't find a thread on this topic specifically, in either.

I am looking at pedal based PM's, specifically for SPD-SL cleats. I have seen one or two options, my question is - does anybody have the Garmin rally pedals, if so are they single or double sided option (the PM sensor, not the cleat interface, for avoidance of doubt) and if so what are your experiences of them? I have read a couple of reviews stating they are liable to overread by some measure (e.g. 30-40watts, which is a helluvalot).

In addition, does anybody have experience of FAVERO ASSIOMA DUO-SHI pedal thread based PM?

Option 3 - SRAM GXP compatible crank based PM's, e.g Stages (not easy to source) - I have a stages 105 crank for my HT2 based bike/s and am happy with it so maybe this is another option but as mentioned not that easy to come by.

TIA,
SD

Anything like this - look to DC Rainmaker - he tests all kinds of tech stuff to within an inch of its life.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have been using the predecessor to the Favero Assioma for over 5 years. From a longevity perspective they have been fine.
Thanks, good to know. My only slight reservation was a relative unknown player but maybe it’s more my lack of insight than their lack of experience if they have been around for years…

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Thanks, good to know. My only slight reservation was a relative unknown player but maybe it’s more my lack of insight than their lack of experience if they have been around for years…
The old version I have is the Bepro. The only downside is transferring them was not as straightforward as it might be. The Assioma I understand is much easier to fit.

si_c

Guru
The Assioma's seem to be very well regarded. I considered them for a time, but opted for a crank based meter when replacing my old PM which sadly suffered water ingress and died. I picked the 4iiii Precision which is a great unit, easy to fit with Shimano cranks and seems very accurate (matched to my Tacx trainer). Both my road bikes now have one (one left only and one dual sided).

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The Assioma's seem to be very well regarded. I considered them for a time, but opted for a crank based meter when replacing my old PM which sadly suffered water ingress and died. I picked the 4iiii Precision which is a great unit, easy to fit with Shimano cranks and seems very accurate (matched to my Tacx trainer). Both my road bikes now have one (one left only and one dual sided).
Yep my preference is for crank based but the bike in question is Sram GXP and not my (format of choice) Shimano HT2

Nebulous

Guru
I considered the Assioma duo-shis, but eventually decided not to at this point, mainly because of price. They generally seem to be £555, but Wiggle were selling them at £499 before Christmas. Buying from the factory in Italy leaves you open to customs charges.

I want dual-sided as when I used a Watt bike in the gym I had a notable imbalance in the power from my legs. Not many people do SPD-SL pedals, they are generally look cleats.

They are very well reviewed and have been a player on the powermeter scene for some time. DC Rainmaker is very positive about them.

You need to unscrew the axle from your pedals and install them yourself, but from all accounts it is quite straightforward.

Been using Assioma (left side only) for about 2yrs (bought second hand). A very positive experience with only the odd charge being needed a couple of times a year. Easy to swap between bikes and calibration takes 30 seconds.

You mention not being sure about buying from less known brands. The reason I chose the Assioma’s was because there were so many issues with the Garmin Vectors a few years back although I’m sure it’s sorted now.

I’m sure one of the makers allows you to now send off your own cranks and they will fit the power meter for you? Possibly stages. I know they are working on a Sram
Option.

If you can find a shimano crankset and BB that fits and then get the factory install it might be cheaper over all?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From reading on this subject, DCR and others, the Garmin vector pedals had problems with water ingress. The Rally has addressed this - reportedly successfully - and made additional cleat type variants available. Also, they are fussy about what batteries they use. Cheapo batteries are a false economy.

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thanks for the input all, a lot to mull over and reading of DCR reviews is deffo next on my list. Ideally I don't want to give any more money to Garmin (I hold a grudge over previous poor customer service). So the alternatives are interesting. If only more pedal based options existed that support non LOOK cleat systems and or crank based ones for GXP.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Interesting, so to summarise - increased chance of pedal strike if gassing it through corners and they may feel weird and indeed make you walk like John Wayne...

More thought needed on this I think :okay:

Top Bottom