Merlin handbuilt wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Anyone had any experience of the hand built wheels from Merlin cycles? I'm thinking these ones in particular. My Defy stock wheels are breaking spokes and I think it's time to replace them as I want to be able to rely on my wheels when miles from home.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I cannot speak for those wheels but I bought a set of wheels many, many moons ago from Merlin and apart from the hub cassette free hub body being a bit iffy (not their fault) they are still spinning true after I dread to think how much abuse and miles.

AlanW

Guru
Yep, ordered two pairs from Merlin in the last couple of months. The first pair I purchased were Open Pro rims on Ultegra hubs and so far so good.

However, the second pair were not built so good, Open Sport rims on 105 hubs. The rear wheel went out of true very quickly and the LBS had a hell of a game getting it back true again as they said that all the spokes on the drive side were not correctly tensioned and basically had to start again.

OP
OP
Garry A

Garry A

Calibrating.....
However, the second pair were not built so good, Open Sport rims on 105 hubs. The rear wheel went out of true very quickly and the LBS had a hell of a game getting it back true again as they said that all the spokes on the drive side were not correctly tensioned and basically had to start again.

Did you inform Merlin of this?
Ill wait and see what they are like when they arrive.

KneesUp

Guru
How does the cost of getting wheels from the likes of Merlin compare to asking an lbs to make them?

vickster

Legendary Member
Merlin are an LBS if you happen to be in Chorley, albeit with a large web presence

Spa, also an LBS, have a large range of handbuilt wheels

The cost will very much depend on the parts you use. The parts for my handbuilts cost around £200 with savvy shopping IIRC (mavic open pro rims, DT Swiss spokes (32/36), Novatech hubs)

Couple of examples;

Basic narrow rims(bit like old school Mavics);

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collect...-borg22-tubeless-compatible-clincher-wheelset

Or these would be really good as solid workhorse wheels and tubeless ready if so inclined;

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collect...-borg22-tubeless-compatible-clincher-wheelset

Top Bottom