England : Somerset Merry Monks and Nutty Nuns - 27-4-14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've just entered The Merry Monk audax, which is taking place on Sunday 27 April '14 (along with the longer version, The Nutty Nuns) so thought I'd spread the word. I rode it last year - it was great fun, everybody was really friendly, and I got to stuff myself on the amazing spread of cakes and grub that are provided at the start and finish! Oh, and the views and route were also excellent!

The Merry Monk
105km cycling event starting from High Ham, SW of Street. Controls at FORDE ABBEY and SHERBORNE.

Celebrating its 10th Anniversary and famous for its home baking, this picturesque triangular ride takes you pass Muchelney Abbey, onto Forde Abbey (Free Drink) and into the historic town of Sherborne in Dorset.

The route follows mainly minor roads and quiet lanes. Supporting Air Ambulance charity. Maximum 200 riders - Early entry advisable. No Entries on the day.

The Nutty Nuns
201km cycling event starting from High Ham, SW of Street. Controls at DUNKESWELL, FORDE ABBEY, SHERBORNE and WOOKEY.

Interesting route through Somerset, Devon and Dorset, displaying a variety of scenery: mainly quiet roads and lanes. Join Merry Monk riders for a free drink at Forde Abbey. Excellent food facilities at all controls.

Cheddar George

oober member
Nice routes.

Although a free drink is guaranteed for anyone cycling near Muchelney Abbey at the moment.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
If you hate cake then don't enter: If you have really really hate cake, then don't get within 60 miles of the headquarters.

It is a truly excellent audax with plenty of variety in terms of topography from the Somerset Levels to lumpy bumpy South Devon and Dorset. When you return to the HQ, make sure that you arrive on an empty stomach, to allow space for cake, cake and even more cake.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No chance of me getting down there this year, but those sound like the kind of events that I love! (One day, health and wealth permitting, I intend to tackle a tour of the UK taking in events in as many nice places as possible.)

Fingers crossed that the local flooding problems are but a distant memory by then.

OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
No chance of me getting down there this year, but those sound like the kind of events that I love! (One day, health and wealth permitting, I intend to tackle a tour of the UK taking in events in as many nice places as possible.)

Fingers crossed that the local flooding problems are but a distant memory by then.
2015? :becool:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
One lives in hope! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom