messing around with old mountain bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lancj1

Its a Raleigh Jackal circa '95 and its going tom be used for the commute.

Its a fifteen speed 3 x 5 and has one of these rear mechs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052TWZ7A?tag=cheapinusa0b-20

and Shimano MY 15 5 speed shifter.

The rear wheel has a threaded axle and doesn't appear to have a hub in the modern sense. It appears a bit narrower too.

I am thinking of buying some lighter wheels for it - are they readily available (if that,s enough to go on)

Would this be a freewheel or cassette set up ?

Happy to post pictures if it would help

sidevalve

Über Member
If the wheels are alloy and in OK condition it might be a step too far anyway. Unless you're looking at some decent second hand wheels I wouldn't think the cost would be worthwhile.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think you've asked about this bike before haven't you? A mid 90's Raleigh with a cro-moly steel frame (if I remember right) has potential for upgrading.

The rear wheel you currently have has a hub for a screw on freewheel. If you want to keep things simple I'd suggest fitting a more modern basic rear derailleur such as a Shimano Tourney (assuming yours is a direct mount not a clamp mount like this) and a 7 speed freewheel (or perhaps this) plus shifters to taste. (I like these).

That age of Raleigh probably has a 132mm measurement between the rear wheel dropouts (measure to check). If so it should be possible to fit a cassette type rear wheel (135mm over locknuts) which would make it possible to fit 8 or 9 speeds to the rear. It just depends how much you wish to spend. Just don't do it with the intention of adding to the value of the bike because it probably won't.

It is worth considering though that if it is a decent cro-moly frame, and assuming most parts are in reasonable condition, money spent updating this bike would be better than spending the same amount replacing it with a supermarket bike.

OP
OP
Lancj1

Lancj1

Cheers - that's useful. Yes I have posted before and there a picture somewhere. I am now getting on with it bit by bit. Its a bike I have had for 17 years so the work is purely for pleasure and to help me learn, whilst "upgrading" slowly....absolutely nothing to do with increasing monetary value.

I will measure tomorrow as quite fancy making it 24 speed if I can - my research had led me to believe I couldn't.

Thanks again

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Doing it for your own pleasure is the best way.:thumbsup: I'm also intending to go 24 speed on my 1998 Raleigh. I have almost all the parts and will write a bit about it when I've got something done.

OP
OP
Lancj1

Lancj1

Ellesmere - spent many a weekend fishing down the canal side of that Lake in the mid/late 80's, used to be in the Angling Club. Then it started getting busy and the car park became a hunting ground. Happy days :smile:

I will keep you posted re the bike progress

Top Bottom