metal basket or canvas pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I can't keep tying any old bag onto the rear rack, next time it gets sucked into the wheel it'll be more than coleslaw splattered on the road! But I can't decide between a fabric pannier bag or a clip on basket.
Pros and cons of each please.

My wife loves her wicker basket. I think it also sets a bit of a tone as she gets less agro than me.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Ooh Biggs that's very kind, I hadn't really thought. Big enough to carry a couple of day's shopping I guess.
My bike isn't pretty enough for wicker lol. A front basket doesn't sit right either, has to be rear mounted.
I saw cute ones with milk bottles on from basil, and flowery panniers on Amazon.
Just not sure on practicalities, but I think panniers might work better

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Rear panniers with waterproof cover, you can fit more stuff :okay:
Front metal basket get rusty, are hard to fit a light on.
I did fit a basket, made a cable outer snap :sad:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Once I had a rear plastic box tied on one of my bikes, that worked too.
Was a small box though, just for the lock and the repair kit.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's a lady in Lancaster with a metal shopping basket (supermarket type) cable tied onto the top of her front & back pannier racks... whether she stole the baskets or not I'm not sure, but i guess she can fit two baskets worth of shopping in :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ooh Biggs that's very kind, I hadn't really thought. Big enough to carry a couple of day's shopping I guess.
My bike isn't pretty enough for wicker lol. A front basket doesn't sit right either, has to be rear mounted.
I saw cute ones with milk bottles on from basil, and flowery panniers on Amazon.
Just not sure on practicalities, but I think panniers might work better
ok will get some pics and send them across with dimensions for you to have a look at

Hyslop

Veteran
There's a lady in Lancaster with a metal shopping basket (supermarket type) cable tied onto the top of her front & back pannier racks... whether she stole the baskets or not I'm not sure, but i guess she can fit two baskets worth of shopping in :smile:
I used to see her around the Pointer roundabout on my way to Blood Donors and it always made me smile,you could see that others had noticed and were pointing.Wherever she got them from,the store are supporting cycling one way or another!

Hyslop

Veteran
I can't keep tying any old bag onto the rear rack, next time it gets sucked into the wheel it'll be more than coleslaw splattered on the road! But I can't decide between a fabric pannier bag or a clip on basket.
Pros and cons of each please.
My man runs alongside me,I provide him with a lightweight yoke, a hi-vis gilet and the best shoes Sports Direct can provide.I find this much the safest way to cycle shop in Carlisle.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have the Topeak MTX racks on my CX and MTB (shopping bike). I picked up one of their MTX compatible metal baskets on the cheap from Rutland Cyles last year. IIRC is was only £12 and fits onto the MTX rack with the purpose built clip. Bit bigger than a Sainsburys (other supermarkets are available) basket, and managed 4 loaves of bread each Saturday.

andabby

Über Member
Get an old butchers bike, with a ready made metal basket on the front that a good sturdy cardboard box can fit in, save dropping messages onto the road.
Oh the memories of my Saturday job at the Co-op

tyred

Legendary Member

I found mine - honestly. I was driving one day and there was an Asda basket sitting in the middle of the road so I stopped and took it home and it's now cabletied onto the rack of my shopping bike. Very practical:okay:

Top Bottom