Metal Press-fit BBs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Genesis Datum has developed the annoying Press-fit creak, which has not been solved by cleaning the BB, so I am going to change it. The current one is a basic Shimano RS500 for a 41/86.5 shell, and I am inclined to go for a metal BB rather than a Dura-ace upgrade polymer replacement as I have read the metal ones are much more likely to cure the creak for the long-term.

I have been looking at the BBs from Hope and Wheels Manufacturing, leaning more towards the Hope because of the fitting method, even though they are more expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of changing to either of these BBs that they can share, plus are they suitable for fitting using a home made headset press with washers of the right size?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I assume when you say "metal replacement" you're looking at a retro-engineered assembly that essentially replaces the PF setup..?

I looked at a load of these for my Boardman but came to no concrete conclusion as they all have their pros and cons. Praxis also do one I believe. From an engineering perspective the Hambini item looks to be the best as it's one piece inserted from one side; meaning it should give superior bearing alignment and hence smoother running / longer life, plus it's less likely to creak I'd imagine.

I think they're a bit more pricey than the others you mention though, while the fact that they're supplied in the white (ally) also put me off a bit from a corrosion perspective, although I guess the lack of surface finish helps control tolerances.

So yeah, not a whole lot of help but hopefully a few more things to consider. Good luck; I'll be interested to hear how you get on with whatever you choose :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember

Looked through a couple of his BB/creak videos. Very interesting stuff on the theory and practice of press-fit BBs.

He is obviously an expert but I was a bit concerned that he did a lot of promotion of his own kit at the expense of other manufacturers. Presumably his BBs would be much more expensive. Also the potential lack of accuracy in the construction of BBs from different manufacturers would possibly nullify some of the benefits of his (or any other) metal BB.

I know a lot more about the issues than I did earlier this afternoon.

Thanks

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Wheel manufacturing one's work, I have them on all the families bikes and a few friends bikes. Never used the Hope ones, But would imagine they would be good.

Ajax Bay

Guru
My Genesis Datum has developed the annoying Press-fit creak, which has not been solved by cleaning the BB, so I am going to change it. The current one is a basic Shimano RS500
Bit confused. What do you mean by a 'press-fit' creak? The BB-RS500 is threaded.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/sora-r3000/BB-RS500.html
1590345392670.png

wafter

Looked through a couple of his BB/creak videos. Very interesting stuff on the theory and practice of press-fit BBs.

He is obviously an expert but I was a bit concerned that he did a lot of promotion of his own kit at the expense of other manufacturers. Presumably his BBs would be much more expensive. Also the potential lack of accuracy in the construction of BBs from different manufacturers would possibly nullify some of the benefits of his (or any other) metal BB.

I know a lot more about the issues than I did earlier this afternoon.

Thanks
Divisive and unapologetically uncompromising as he is, I think he's the real deal and his opinions appear evidence-led and objective. The only real issue I can see with his BBs is that they're probably less tolerant of out-of-spec BB bores than the two-piece screw-together items and you're probably more invested given the permanency of the fitment method (don't fancy heating up a CFRP frame with a torch to cook off the loctite!) however once in I think they look like a better option than the two-piece items.

IMO really the Hambini setup should be looked at more as a permanent frame mod that provides a properly-toleranced, concentric housing into which any number of successive bearings can be fitted; rather than the other solutions which are more of a replaceable work-around (although I think you might be able to replace the bearings in some in situ).

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
Divisive and unapologetically uncompromising as he is, I think he's the real deal and his opinions appear evidence-led and objective. The only real issue I can see with his BBs is that they're probably less tolerant of out-of-spec BB bores than the two-piece screw-together items and you're probably more invested given the permanency of the fitment method (don't fancy heating up a CFRP frame with a torch to cook off the loctite!) however once in I think they look like a better option than the two-piece items.

IMO really the Hambini setup should be looked at more as a permanent frame mod that provides a properly-toleranced, concentric housing into which any number of successive bearings can be fitted; rather than the other solutions which are more of a replaceable work-around (although I think you might be able to replace the bearings in some in situ).

I believe you can replace the bearings in the Hope BBs. That sounds quite attractive.

Price is going to be a big factor for me and it is unlikely that I will pay more than twice the cost of a Hope for a Hambrini at £200+. My used bike only cost £400.

wafter

I believe you can replace the bearings in the Hope BBs. That sounds quite attractive.

Price is going to be a big factor for me and it is unlikely that I will pay more than twice the cost of a Hope for a Hambrini at £200+. My used bike only cost £400.
Bloody hell - the Hambini BBs are £200? Last time I looked I think they were more like half that!

Sounds like the hope item may well be worth a look then..

Top Bottom