Metric turncoats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
derall said:
Since I was a nipper I've been an orienteer, and 'O' courses are always measured in kms. Hammered home in the army where everything is measured in m and km. Just seems natural to continue using metric now. (And I still measure bearings in mils [6400 mils in a circle])

You have a valid excuse then! :biggrin:

I just don't see the point in it. When I see a road sign that says Toytown 18 I think "ah, Toytown is 18 miles away", not get out me calculator and go "hmm, Toytown is 28.9km away"!

Who under the age of 40 was taught the Imperial System? I've no idea how heavy an ounce is, how many feet to the liquid groat there are.

Can't wait 'til these Luddites die out and I can finally say my top speed is 7.5x10^6mm/hr. Now that's a number I can relate to.

wafflycat

I use both and am happy enough in either. Audaxes are measured in kilometres. Time trials in miles. I use both. Come to think of it, at school I was taught both.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Dave5N said:
Sometimes, for a change or if the numbers are easier, I divide by eight then times by five.
The number you are thinking of is 15 ! :biggrin:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Horace Goes Skiing said:
Who under the age of 40 was taught the Imperial System? I've no idea how heavy an ounce is, how many feet to the liquid groat there are.

Can't wait 'til these Luddites die out and I can finally say my top speed is 7.5x10^6mm/hr. Now that's a number I can relate to.

When I went to school we were not taught the metric system but I know it so why don't you know the imperial system?
Do you drink beer? It's sold in pints and half pints - imperial
Do you look at road signs? They are in miles - imperial
Do you buy trousers? Waist sizes in inches - imperial
Do you buy shirts? Sizes in inches - imperial
Do you own a mountain bike? What are tyres and tubes measured in? Imperial.
Fuel consumption? Miles per gallon

Do you think that learning ends when you leave full time education? Can you do quick mental arithmetic with your built in calculator - also known as a brain?
As simonali points out:-
simonali said:
When I see a road sign that says Toytown 18 I think "ah, Toytown is 18 miles away", not get out me calculator and go "hmm, Toytown is 28.9km away"!
What's the simplest way to roughly calculate how far Toytown is away? You can multiply by 1.6 but keep it easy and multiply by 1½. Half of 18 is 9 so 18+9 = 27kms and that's rough calculating! If you want to work it out another way 5 miles = 8 kms so round it up to 20 miles and there are for 5's in 20 so 4x8=32 so you know it is between 27 and 32 kms - call it 29½ and you are not far off - easy!

Other quick conversions:-
1 litre = 1¾pints - call it 2 pints!
1Kg = 2 lbs (pounds) or just a bit more than 2 lbs
1oz (ounce) = 30 gram(me)s
2½ cms = ! inch

So in school, I was taught Imperial, when I started nursing, we used the apothecaries' system, later in my training we changed to metric, I picked up metric on the way and also Thai traditional measurements.
All three of my daughters (all under 40) are conversant with Imperial & Metric and there is no reason why everyone shouldn't be!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I use miles, myself.

On account of the metric system being the tool of the devil.

"My car gets four rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it."

snorri

Legendary Member
I got fed up with the mental arithmetic when touring in more (cycling) civilised countries and bought myself a second computer.;)
Two computers on my handlebars makes my bike look really high tech.;):becool:

NickM

Veteran
Why, when the French designed the metric system, did they not metricate time? Why do we not have a 20-hour day, with 10 hours each of day and night at the equinoxes?

Top Bottom