Metric turncoats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I can only just remember being given an old penny when I was very young, so luckily missed getting confused by that system. However I am a product of the generation brought up with both... and yet I think my kids will be too. I notice that they will often follow recipes in oz's rather than grams - easier numbers to deal with I think. I measure most lengths in metric ('cept miles and my height), and weigh myself in stone.

I sometimes think the govenment should just get on with it and force us to change - without compulsion I don't think I will.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
monnet said:
and for angry mr hippo
Hippos never get angry - It's a useless emotion! Such a waste of time and energy.
Horace Goes Skiing said:
Because it's an outdated, ludicrous system and it deserves to die. You'll be asking me to learn how to convert my cash into shillings and florins next.
In the UK, both the Imperial & Metric systems are running in tandem and will continue to do so for many years. Why should I ask you to convert £-p to £-s-d when we only have one system?

Renard

Was it not Johnny foreigner who introduced miles to this country? I mean those bloody Romans with their miles (a thousand paces). I wonder what the unit was before then?

Milo

Guru
Miles used to vary in county's at one point there was a welsh mile and a scotish mile as well. God knows what part of my silly brain that came from.

buggi

Bird Saviour
km for the distance i've cycled... coz it sounds like more

miles for the distance yet to go... coz it sounds like less

:smile:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Flying_Monkey said:
As long as you get to the right cafe at the right time, who cares?

It's this sort of lack of rigour that did for the Mars Climate Orbiter, FM! ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
miloat said:
Miles used to vary in county's at one point there was a welsh mile and a scotish mile as well. God knows what part of my silly brain that came from.

There was an Irish mile too.

(Just gone and looked it up on Wikipedia to check)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I use miles. I am completely rubbish in Km and have no sence of distance in Km, so if it goes on here on Km i go on the calculator(because i am rubbish at maths) and divide it by 1.6.
My computer gives averages to 2.D.P in miles so it is still as accurate as Km

Top Bottom