Mickle's tip of the week - Lycra shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
All those years ago when I came back to cycling the people I saw cycling were in ordinary clothes,
At the time, assuming we're talking of the woollen era, bike clothes were expensive and difficult to care for.

Modern stuff just isn't - quick spin on the delicates cycle, and hour or so on the line in good weather, and it's ready to go again. Although Assos & Rapha prices make your eyes water, there's plenty of reasonably priced gear available.
these days most people I see cycling are in cycle clothes, the problem with this is if people think that to cycle they need to spend a lot of money on both clothes and a bike there's a good chance they wont bother.
The problem, I think, is that if people can't figure out whether they need the kit or not, for themselves, they're idiots.

I started commuting on a £50 ten speed from free ads, wearing (non cycling) shorts and a cotton t-shirt. I didn't like it, so I got bike specific stuff. If I'd been comfortable, I'd have carried on in the "normal" gear. And this seems to be the way most new commuters start too, from what I see on our guided rides.

The major barrier to cycling in the UK is danger from traffic, not fashion, or the supposed need for special clothes.

D

Deleted member 1258

At the time, assuming we're talking of the woollen era, bike clothes were expensive and difficult to care for.

Modern stuff just isn't - quick spin on the delicates cycle, and hour or so on the line in good weather, and it's ready to go again. Although Assos & Rapha prices make your eyes water, there's plenty of reasonably priced gear available.

The problem, I think, is that if people can't figure out whether they need the kit or not, for themselves, they're idiots.

I started commuting on a £50 ten speed from free ads, wearing (non cycling) shorts and a cotton t-shirt. I didn't like it, so I got bike specific stuff. If I'd been comfortable, I'd have carried on in the "normal" gear. And this seems to be the way most new commuters start too, from what I see on our guided rides.

The major barrier to cycling in the UK is danger from traffic, not fashion, or the supposed need for special clothes.

The fear of traffic is only part of it, a large part of it, but only part of it, thinking you have to spend lots of money on bikes and clothes is another part of it, buying a full suspension cheapy from somewhere like Tescos, Argos etc and finding it hard work is another, a couple of rides and its sod that and the bike goes in the shed and rots until it gets thrown out. With normal clothes I worked out what I was comfortable in and what I wasn't and rode for years in normal clothes, The only thing I wore on the club rides were cycle shoes. These days I have cycle clothes, I use these on the club rides, for commuting and general running about I use ordinary clothes and ordinary boots or shoes.

GTTTM

Or maybe just nervous about starting a new "sport" (if they're doing it for leisure) - they see people out cycling on a Saturday - in "proper" gear (and nice bikes), they have a google and come across a website such as this, or others similar saying things such as

don't buy those cheap Argos/Halfords/Flatpack bikes, and you really ought to wear the right clothes..........

Like I said - for strong willed, stubborn cows like me who is confident to do my own thing (and having cycled before albeit a long time ago) it's not an issue. Not everyone is as well read/confident/clever as you - that's not to say they're "idiots" - but rather there's so much information out there that when looking to start for the first time they time what seems to be the "right" advice.

Glover Fan

The aversion to lycra actually concerns me. It gives me the feeling that there are a lot of people out there not comfortable in their own skin. This thread is all about making cycling as enjoyable as possible and like it or not padded lycra shorts are the best out there, you can spend £100's on a saddle and still have a sore ass after 100 miles. Something even a £40 pair of shorts can sort out.

The impression I get from a lot of people is that their main aversion to anything lycra is how they look. I have stood in the middle of Avergavenny in full team kit lycra which gets a lot of bad press from cyclists in the first place and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, in fact I felt more self conscious that I had a broad Somerset accent therefore English :biggrin: . I am confident in the way I look, if someone has an issue they can swivel as far as i'm concerned.

snorri

Legendary Member
The aversion to lycra actually concerns me. It gives me the feeling that there are a lot of people out there not comfortable in their own skin. This thread is all about making cycling as enjoyable as possible and like it or not padded lycra shorts are the best out there, you can spend £100's on a saddle and still have a sore ass after 100 miles. Something even a £40 pair of shorts can sort out.

Get over it.
Lycra shorts,padded or unpadded, are impractical for many modes of cycling and enthusiasts who promote them can discourage people from taking up cycling.

D

Deleted member 1258

Get over it.
Lycra shorts,padded or unpadded, are impractical for many modes of cycling and enthusiasts who promote them can discourage people from taking up cycling.

+1

D

Deleted member 1258

^^ :thumbsup:

Many men are (secretly) concerned when they start out wearing Lycra, that others will think they're gay, and they'll defend against that by being macho.

?? I haven't come across that one yet.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Thanks for turning this into a really interesting discussion everyone. I'm really surprised that so many 'proper', high-mileage cyclists don't wear padded shorts. My buttocks would be red raw after ten miles without them. You Lycra free cyclists must have arses of iron.

As it happens I haven't worn any Lycra for months, not since I sold my Colnago. But then I don't really do any cycling but commuting these days. And lycra is over-kill for a 30min commute.

I hear the point about Lycra putting people off taking up cycling. Giving the impression that you can't participate without expensive equipment, or 'uniform'.

It's valid. Though people from Holland and Germany seem to be perfectly capable of distinguishing between utility and sporty cycling..

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
And lycra is over-kill for a 30min commute.

Ooh, I dunno! I have a 35/40 min commute twice a day and I'd much rather have stinky lycra cycling gear then stinky regular clothes (we are lucky enough to have showers at work). And I'm not risking my lovely, vintage frocks getting ruined on my commute and they don't really go with the aesthetic of the racing bike very well either!

D

Deleted member 1258

Ooh, I dunno! I have a 35/40 min commute twice a day and I'd much rather have stinky lycra cycling gear then stinky regular clothes (we are lucky enough to have showers at work). And I'm not risking my lovely, vintage frocks getting ruined on my commute and they don't really go with the aesthetic of the racing bike very well either!

I've never commuted in anything other than normal clothes, and I've been commuting for over thirty years, and Mickle's right, lycra isn't necessary for a half hour commute, with that distance its down to just personal preference.

VamP

Banned
I've never commuted in anything other than normal clothes, and I've been commuting for over thirty years, and Mickle's right, lycra isn't necessary for a half hour commute, with that distance its down to just personal preference.

Erm... can I respectfully suggest it's to do with the intensity of the ride as well?

I get properly drenched in sweat on my 45 minute commute/training ride, no way would i like to wear non-technical clothing.

D

Deleted member 1258

Erm... can I respectfully suggest it's to do with the intensity of the ride as well?

I get properly drenched in sweat on my 45 minute commute/training ride, no way would i like to wear non-technical clothing.

I'm just commuting, I'm not training, I'm not trying to set a personal best in the club time trial, if you are using your commute to train then civies are probably not for you, if you are just commuting then there is no need to try that hard, I don't, I ride six and a half miles each way, thirteen miles round trip, takes about twenty five minutes each way without riding flat out.

snorri

Legendary Member

You are absolutely right.:smile:

It's just that some of us non lycra wearers get a little fed up of the lycra fans whose imagination runs riot (post 50) when they fail to understand that lycra might be impractical for cyclists engaged in different modes of cycling to themselves.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This is all very well, I wear lycra on the Sunday a.m. run and regular mufti for the 40 min commute and pottering about stuff, but this is now 'Tip of Last Fuggin' Week' - were's this weeks the lazy bas?!!

Top Bottom