Mickle's tip of the week - Lycra shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah, I know how self concious many of you feel about Lycra shorts, but if you intend to ride more than ten miles there is simply nothing else which comes close in terms of function, comfort and performance. Get over yourselves.

LYCRA is a DuPont owned brand name of "spandex" (an anagram of the word "expands").[sup][/sup] It is available in many different grades and the materials grade combined with the complexity of each garment which determines the retail price. It's used in cycle shorts in one of ten or so grades.

Grade 1 is thin stuff used for girls lyotards and other pink shoot. Grade 10 is heavy duty of the kind used to line protective pads and the like. If in doubt when comparing two pairs of shorts - choose the heavier grade - it's more durable, so lasts longer. In general terms the higher the grade the more expensive the shorts.

Garment complexity is to do with the tailoring. Cheap shorts use only four panels to keep the costs down. Four panel shorts are very two dimensional and have great difficulty conforming to the shape of your three dimensional butt. Six panel shorts are not much better - 21 panel shorts are great. In general terms more panels = better fit the = more expensive shorts. Coz they just take longer to make.

Chamois, (the padding in the crotch) were once made from chamois. Not any more. Almost every modern chamois is a mylti layered anti-bacterialogical synthetic material designed to pad your arse against pressure from the saddle, to wick away perspiration. The shorts are really only there to keep the chaomois in place.

Be very wary of (unless you are a sponsored rider), purchasing shorts with a coloured panel. Such panels are usually printed on white lycra, the very cheapest grade. The coloured panel is the short's weakest link. It'll fail soonest.

Chamois cream keeps old style leather chamois pads nice and supple but it has another function which is often forgotten. It sticks the pad to your bum. By doing so it transfers any movement away from the interface of bum and pad. Instead, movement occurs between the outside surface of shorts and the saddle. Reducing chafing, friction and the generation of heat.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Grade 1 is thin stuff used for girls lyotards and other pink shoot.

:biggrin:

A small error accidentally betrays your vast erudition, Mickle. For the said pink garment is named not, as you suppose, after the postmodern literary theorist Jean-Francois Lyotard, but after Jules Leotard - some other French geezer famous for swinging about above people's heads in Spandex...

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
:biggrin:

A small error accidentally betrays your vast erudition, Mickle. For the said pink garment is named not, as you suppose, after the postmodern literary theorist Jean-Francois Lyotard, but after Jules Leotard - some other French geezer famous for swinging about above people's heads in Spandex...

Bugger.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I didn't know that chamois cream did that, I actually assumed it did the opposite: allowed your butt to smoothly slip & slide on the pad.

Does it make any difference if you apply the cream to the pad or to your butt? Any brands to recommend? Would babies' nappy cream be a suitable substitute?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Many audax riders use Sudocrem, often for rides of 10+ hrs.

A small old-style film canister with a bit of Sudocrem has been known to find its way into my Carradice saddlebag for re-application if necessary.
whistling.gif
blink.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Many audax riders use Sudocrem, often for rides of 10+ hrs.

A small old-style film canister with a bit of Sudocrem has been known to find its way into my Carradice saddlebag for re-application if necessary.
whistling.gif
blink.gif

being the household of an 18mo, there is plenty of the stuff in the house.
thumbsup.png

Davidc

Guru
Lycra - How to make my skin come up in an all-over rash which lasts and itches for a week!

Ordinary sports shorts and tops for me thanks. I've ridden well over 100,000 miles in them and they're supremely comfortable with no side efects. No need for any padding, creams or other enhancements.

Sorry Mickle but you know where to put your Lycra.

D

Deleted member 1258

What's wrong with cycling in whatever I happend to be wearing?
Jeans and tee shirt is my usual attire along with steel toe boots.

+1 on that, my commute, 13 mile round trip, its work boots, work trousers and a polo shirt, often with a cycle jersey/jacket on top. I've never worn Lycra padded shorts even on 100 mile plus days.

tyred

Legendary Member
I did have a brief flirtation with padded shorts but then I got a Brooks B17 saddle and all my discomfort issues disappeared :thumbsup:

GilesM

Legendary Member
People cycling long distances without padded shorts is just wrong, please stop, it makes my eyes water just thinking about it. I lways use lycra padded shorts, and for me it has to be bibshorts, much more comfortable, even when I'm playing on my full suss in my baggies I wear a pair of bibshorts underneath.

Top Bottom