Microwave/oven

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
had considered but too complicated for her I think and want a single unit,
An air fryer is just a small oven. It doesn't replace a combi micro in any way. Combi micros are best for doing baked potatoes in 15 minutes. An air fryer will do this but take an hour. They are very simple to use though, set your temp, set your timer, chuck your food in and press go.

Tenkaykev

Guru
This is the one we have, only a basic one as the one we wanted was not in stock anywhere when we were looking for one.
Panasonic NN-S29KSMBPQ 20L Microwave Oven, Stainless Steel
Annoying five beeps when cooking is finished, this can't be turned off or adjusted.

This is the one we wanted but wasn't in stock:
Panasonic NN-GD37HSBPQ Freestanding Microwave with Grill, Stainless Steel
( Our choice was limited as Mrs Tenkaykev's first priority was that it be Stainless Steel 🤔)

winjim

Smash the cistern
An air fryer is just a small oven. It doesn't replace a combi micro in any way. Combi micros are best for doing baked potatoes in 15 minutes. An air fryer will do this but take an hour. They are very simple to use though, set your temp, set your timer, chuck your food in and press go.
Cook the potato in the microwave and crisp the skin in the air fryer.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Thanks - the old conked out one (all seems to work but no heating from the microwave bit - a bit of a mystery to me anyway what provides the microwave heat) is a Panasonic and I must admit it has given long service so can't complain.
I take it yours is a combined microwave/oven?
If so, if not too much trouble, could you tell me the model name/number - please don't trouble yourself if this info is hidden in some barmy place, like on the bottom/back or wherever. I don't expect any lifting or shifting.
No heat usually means the Magnetron is goosed ! Had a built in oven that had that issue, bought a new part online and replaced. However only went down that option due to it being a stupidly expensive built in job. Funnily enough my new house the microwave has just packed in, well the door switches are goosed ! So no lighty, no likey ! Replaced with another standard off the shelf Kenwood. I`d avoid built in where possible IMO.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Supplier: John Lewis every time. Our microwave from them conked out within a month. Replaced immediately. The replacement conked out within two months. Replaced immediately. Second replacement has worked perfectly for over five years. No quibbling, no hassle, no problem.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Supplier: John Lewis every time. Our microwave from them conked out within a month. Replaced immediately. The replacement conked out within two months. Replaced immediately. Second replacement has worked perfectly for over five years. No quibbling, no hassle, no problem.
I do rate John Lewis and i was thinking of them as they are competitive on price and seem to do free delivery - but I couldn't seem to find any option for them disposing of the old one.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Our old one was getting flaky; heating unevenly and so on so we bought this one off fleabay for (I think) £50, maybe it was labelled "seconds" but looks brand new. Looks quite smart and works very well indeed despite being a so-say "lesser" brand. Particularly good is it just has high/medium/defrost/low on one knob and timer on the other, and no complex modes leaving you struggling to find "getting hot mode". Totally works and heats stuff up, and as I say £50, and I can't fault it

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I do rate John Lewis and i was thinking of them as they are competitive on price and seem to do free delivery - but I couldn't seem to find any option for them disposing of the old one.
Removal and disposal of old items is a paid-for extra you can add in as part of the payment process on certain items. However, I am not sure it applies to microwaves. Suggest you do a trial online purchase and see if it offers this add-on. If it is a critical issue, you can just quit out of the purchase process to avoid placing the order.

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
When we were going to buy a large upright freezer from JL , disposal was not available. When Mrs JK questioned this , the totally disinterested call centre person said this was because the item we wanted was coming directly from the whole sale or manufacturers warehouse . Result lost sale for JL . We bought from AO , same price as JL with faster delivery and disposal as well.
(edit) we have a Panasonic microwave, I have no hesitation in recommending .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
When we were going to buy a large upright freezer from JL , disposal was not available. When Mrs JK questioned this , the totally disinterested call centre person said this was because the item we wanted was coming directly from the whole sale or manufacturers warehouse . Result lost sale for JL . We bought from AO , same price as JL with faster delivery and disposal as well.
(edit) we have a Panasonic microwave, I have no hesitation in recommending .
Yes it was ao i had been looking at. Surprised at JL's position.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for all the responses folks.

Ended up getting this panasonic from, in the end, John Lewis.

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic...-microwave-oven-black/p3525097?sku=237405608&

Seems very good and came with a proper book.

Made private arrangements for getting rid of old one - went with John Lewis as seemed to be pretty much the same price everywhere but John Lewis gave a two year guarantee - other folks seemed to offer one year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom