Microwave/oven

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone recommend one and a supplier?
Mum's has conked out - or at least the microwave bit.
Need to try to sort another online.

battered

Guru
Combination oven affair or just a simple micro? If the !atter, any supermarket or at present Amazon standard issue, about £30 and if later she needs an upgrade when the shops reopen then she can choose at her leisure.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Combination oven affair or just a simple micro? If the !atter, any supermarket or at present Amazon standard issue, about £30 and if later she needs an upgrade when the shops reopen then she can choose at her leisure.
combination microwave oven.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
No experience with combi ovens I'm afraid, but if just a microwave then I'd get the cheaper ones, just becasue they have a simple timer on one dial and the power setting on another. My partner has a posh digital one and it takes quite a few pushes of different buttons before the thing starts; very frustrating

Mr Celine

Discordian
We have a Neff built in combi. Works as a grill, an oven and a microwave plus various other functions, but I've no idea what they are or what they do as it has the worst instruction manual of any appliance I've ever bought.
Not recommended for that reason.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
We have a Neff built in combi. Works as a grill, an oven and a microwave plus various other functions, but I've no idea what they are or what they do as it has the worst instruction manual of any appliance I've ever bought.
Not recommended for that reason.
neff a bit upmarket for what she needs I think - and in any case not looking for built-in.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We've been happy with our Panasonic. It is quite versatile and a lot quieter than others we have had in the past. Another criteria is controls, some like push buttons, others a simple dial, and some like ones with controls that resemble the cockpit of a 747! If possible I'd visit a shop to see them in the flesh, We purchased our last Microwave from JL, we weren't able to check it out in store and it is a bit smaller than we envisaged.
With regard to suppliers, we recently replaced our Larder Fridge, JL had no stock but we looked around and ended up buying it from Marks Electrical. A family firm with good prices and nationwide deliveries ( reminded me a bit of Apollo if anyone remembers them)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
We've been happy with our Panasonic. It is quite versatile and a lot quieter than others we have had in the past. Another criteria is controls, some like push buttons, others a simple dial, and some like ones with controls that resemble the cockpit of a 747! If possible I'd visit a shop to see them in the flesh, We purchased our last Microwave from JL, we weren't able to check it out in store and it is a bit smaller than we envisaged.
With regard to suppliers, we recently replaced our Larder Fridge, JL had no stock but we looked around and ended up buying it from Marks Electrical. A family firm with good prices and nationwide deliveries ( reminded me a bit of Apollo if anyone remembers them)
Thanks - the old conked out one (all seems to work but no heating from the microwave bit - a bit of a mystery to me anyway what provides the microwave heat) is a Panasonic and I must admit it has given long service so can't complain.
I take it yours is a combined microwave/oven?
If so, if not too much trouble, could you tell me the model name/number - please don't trouble yourself if this info is hidden in some barmy place, like on the bottom/back or wherever. I don't expect any lifting or shifting.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Panasonic make good microwave ovens, mine was 40 odd quid although obviously that's a basic, straightforward micro. Sharp make good combination ovens if you need a grill and oven feature.... AO have one for £135 which is good value for such a good make:
https://ao.com/product/r861km-sharp-i-series-microwave-black-72561-50.aspx

We got a Panasonic Inverter NN-SF464M. I don't think it was very expensive (£140-ish? Maybe less).

It's big advantage is that there is no turntable inside, so the entire floorspace inside is available for foodstuff.

battered

Guru
Combis are typically £80-100, it seems. I did well when mine died, Aldi had them in that very week for £35 so I bought one. This one has lasted longer, 5-6 years so far. As others have said, the user interface is key. Some require multiple button pressing, power, time, confirm, etc to warm up a bowl of soup. Sod that. Mine has a +30sec button, it's ideal. Close the door and push +30 sec 6 times, that's you.

winjim

Smash the cistern
At the risk of not answering the question, in lieu of the oven part of the combi, and if she has the space, has she considered an air fryer? We use ours all the time, for anything you'd normally roast or fry. It does great chips, sausages and the like, has a timer so you won't forget it, and using that, the pressure cooker and the microwave, I can make an entire roast dinner without using the regular oven.

I've not yet tried baking cakes in it but I think you can with a bit of knowhow.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Combis are typically £80-100, it seems. I did well when mine died, Aldi had them in that very week for £35 so I bought one. This one has lasted longer, 5-6 years so far. As others have said, the user interface is key. Some require multiple button pressing, power, time, confirm, etc to warm up a bowl of soup. Sod that. Mine has a +30sec button, it's ideal. Close the door and push +30 sec 6 times, that's you.
Yep have the idea aldi stuff is good - just missed one of their special buys (tho microwave only) with a 3 year guarantee.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
At the risk of not answering the question, in lieu of the oven part of the combi, and if she has the space, has she considered an air fryer? We use ours all the time, for anything you'd normally roast or fry. It does great chips, sausages and the like, has a timer so you won't forget it, and using that, the pressure cooker and the microwave, I can make an entire roast dinner without using the regular oven.

I've not yet tried baking cakes in it but I think you can with a bit of knowhow.
had considered but too complicated for her I think and want a single unit,

Top Bottom