Pizza ovens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We were at a party last night and they were cooking pizza in an Ooni outside . I’m aware of the brand but seem rather spendy ! Anyone got a different one ?

I have got an Ooni Fyra. Bit spendy, but excellent value. Heats up to 500 C, pizzas cooked in a minute (literally), minimum maintenance, minimum running costs (cooks on wood pellets).

Ooni also do an all-electric indoor pizza oven.

Last edited:
We’re Ooni users for over 7yrs, Started with their first pellet Ooni One and couple of years back switched to a gas version. Very good ovens and they do work well. Overall the concept is good but it really does need high heat and an ability to replenish that heat quickly otherwise you’re waiting too long between each pizza. Not sure some of the others ones I’ve seen will do that as well although I’m sure there’s some out there that can and are perhaps cheaper, plan B could of course be a second oven ?

One limitation is the number of pizzas you can cook, limited to one at a time in these oven and hence we will at some point switch to a full blown wood based oven, may even make it myself and reckon i can do that for around £250 including the refractory bricks and chimney, that way i can build an oven that can handle at least 3 pizzas at a time.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’ve fancied an Ooni for ages as I often make my own pizzas but not enough to justify a big spend.

My neighbour has a huge Gozney, now that’s expensive!

Jameshow

Veteran
Just be aware the gas isn't cheap either!!

Attachments

• 16847688173925060878054002698805.jpg
    16847688173925060878054002698805.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 5

T4tomo

Legendary Member
How many Domino's (*insert favourite pizza brand) does one need to have replaced with a home cooked Ooni etc for it to pay back?

Its probably more than I would consume in a life time. I did buy a pizza stone for my Cobb, which I can also sling in a conventional oven to help get the base crispier.

figbat

Slippery scientist
How many Domino's (*insert favourite pizza brand) does one need to have replaced with a home cooked Ooni etc for it to pay back?

Its probably more than I would consume in a life time. I did buy a pizza stone for my Cobb, which I can also sling in a conventional oven to help get the base crispier.

One assumes that you consider Domino’s pizza as equivalent to homemade, stone-baked pizza. I’m no pizza snob (I was consuming Domino’s just last night) but there is no comparison between the two.

So it comes down to a choice of cost over personal preference. I love making pizzas and have been trained by a passionate Neopolitan in how to do it ‘properly’ - I’d love a wood-fired, outdoors cooking option but I don’t think it would get enough use. Ages to get it hot to cook 4 pizzas in a few minutes would mean I wouldn’t bother unless for a larger gathering or to also cook other stuff at the same time. Cost is not the issue though as the results would be much better.

Proto

Legendary Member
My children bought me an Ooni for my birthday and it’s a major success. Multi fuel but I’ve only ever used it in gas burner mode. Up to temperature very quickly, pizzas take a minute or two, and the results are excellent.
Pizza dough is pretty easy to make and I make surplus which I keep in the freezer. Homemade tomato paste, selection of toppings - chorizo, mushrooms, peppers etc etc - then for a social evening get the guests to make their own pizzas, which I guarantee they will love doing.

Top Bottom