Pizza ovens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Condemning all pizzas because of experiencing bad pizzas is like saying all bicycles are heavy and slow because I rode a BSO. A good pizza is not ‘lathered in cheese’ nor “junk food” - less-is-more applies to a traditional Neopolitan pizza. Italy is not known for a major obesity problem.
The U.K is very well known for obesity though and the majority of pizza eaters here are not eating Neapolitan style pizzas.
Pizzas are high in saturated fats and refined carbs. Call that what you want.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The U.K is very well known for obesity though and the majority of pizza eaters here are not eating Neapolitan style pizzas.
Pizzas are high in saturated fats and refined carbs. Call that what you want.

Those American style pizzas aren't what home pizza oven owners cook, which is the subject of the thread.

richardfm

Veteran
All that cheese lathered on the top is very fatty. Pizzas are junk food Richard. You can pay way more than a couple of grand for them actually as well.
Each to their own though. If people wish to buy faddy things like this then that's entirely their choice.

Pizzas aren't "lathered in cheese", they are not "junk" food, whatever that is.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Those American style pizzas aren't what home pizza oven owners cook, which is the subject of the thread.

We don't know, what exactly everyone cooks at home in their pizza ovens and thus how much or how little cheese they put on?.
We do know that Pizza tends to have the core components of a bread type base/tomato topping and cheese with or without other items. So basically carbs and fat. Maybe if you have a very small slice with a massive salad its not too bad but generally they are not a healthy choice food wise.
You can say what you want but Pizzas are classed as junk food.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We don't know, what exactly everyone cooks at home in their pizza ovens and thus how much or how little cheese they put on?.
We do know that Pizza tends to have the core components of a bread type base/tomato topping and cheese with or without other items. So basically carbs and fat. Maybe if you have a very small slice with a massive salad its not too bad but generally they are not a healthy choice food wise.

I'm on a fair number of forums, participating in a number of home oven threads and I have never seen anything other than Neapolitan style pizzas being cooked. Indeed because of the high temperatures and fast cooking times it'd be impossible to cook anything else without incinerating them - simply it's not what they are designed to do.

That is why I felt confident to make the statement.

richardfm

Veteran

Junk food is generally considered to be highly processed food with high salt and fat content and little nutritional value.
Pizza cooked in a home pizza oven doesn't fit this description.

figbat

Slippery scientist

So a cheese and tomato sandwich is junk food too then?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
So a cheese and tomato sandwich is junk food too then?

Its not the best thing you could possibly eat. Anyone who was health conscious would give things like Pizzas and fatty sandwiches a hard pass. Obviously if your desperate for whatever reason or don't have much choice food wise that's different.

markemark

Über Member
What a load of nonsense. Pizza ovens don’t cook crappy greasy pizzas. They cook very thin homemade pizzas. For me, the dough is typically homemade either from scratch or from a mix. A reduction of tomatoes garlic and oregano is then added. Followed by a few slices of mozzarella and I like sliced veg and sometime tuna.

Yes it has some fat in the cheese and includes carbs but it’s a mostly healthy meal in a balanced diet. Conflating it with dominoes junk is laughable. If I were to desperately want to lose lots of weight I would not choose but absolutely no issue as part of a balanced healthy diet. And yes, you should have some carbs on a healthy diet.

To says it’s unhealthy as it’s slathered in fat and cheese is like saying a salad is fattening with all the dressing and croutons and slices of bacon. It depends how you make it. It’s possible to make a very fatty pizza oven style pizza but it won’t cook very well and it’s not why people use them.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
What a load of nonsense. Pizza ovens don’t cook crappy greasy pizzas. They cook very thin homemade pizzas. For me, the dough is typically homemade either from scratch or from a mix. A reduction of tomatoes garlic and oregano is then added. Followed by a few slices of mozzarella and I like sliced veg and sometime tuna.

Yes it has some fat in the cheese and includes carbs but it’s a mostly healthy meal in a balanced diet. Conflating it with dominoes junk is laughable. If I were to desperately want to lose lots of weight I would not choose but absolutely no issue as part of a balanced healthy diet. And yes, you should have some carbs on a healthy diet.

To says it’s unhealthy as it’s slathered in fat and cheese is like saying a salad is fattening with all the dressing and croutons and slices of bacon. It depends how you make it. It’s possible to make a very fatty pizza oven style pizza but it won’t cook very well and it’s not why people use them.

A Pizza oven will cook what you put in it. You can have a thicker pizza with loads of cheese on if you want to.
Loads of middle age men drop dead from heart attacks every year from eating rubbish and having an unhealthy diet...

markemark

Über Member
A Pizza oven will cook what you put in it. You can have a thicker pizza with loads of cheese on if you want to.
Loads of middle age men drop dead from heart attacks every year from eating rubbish and having an unhealthy diet...

No, thick pizza bases don’t work in a pizza oven due to the extreme heat. To cook the dough through the crust, base and toppings would be burnt to a crisp.

If you cover it in cheese it would all melt off and yiull have mess in the oven.
The ovens the takeaway greasy places use are very different, they’re slower and use pans. A home pizza oven is a very different thing and cooks very different pizzas.

Dadam

Bored of this now. We’ve established you don’t like pizza but a lot of us do. So why don’t you stop hijacking a thread on pizza ovens and start your own thread on junk food and how virtuous you are. Or go on over to the curry thread and tell them how greasy and unhealthy takeaway curries are, regardless of how people make them at home. You’ll be just as welcome there I’m sure.

The sort of pizzas, and their accompanying side dishes, made at home by, I would venture to say, the vast majority of those who have, or who aspire to have, a pizza oven, are about as far away from junk food as it it is possible to get and still enjoy one's food.
It is nourishing, healthy, freshly home-cooked food made from fresh basic ingredients and as heavy on the vegetables as is liked. It is also delicious - an important point in any food's favour.
You might also be interested to learn that some carbs and some fats are a requirement in a normal healthy diet.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Bored of this now. We’ve established you don’t like pizza but a lot of us do. So why don’t you stop hijacking a thread on pizza ovens and start your own thread on junk food and how virtuous you are. Or go on over to the curry thread and tell them how greasy and unhealthy takeaway curries are, regardless of how people make them at home. You’ll be just as welcome there I’m sure.

Please no! He'll be telling us we all get a take away and heat it up in pan a home!

Top Bottom