Mid 70s Bottecchia Special Campione Del Mondo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ja5838

Can anyone help date this (or narrow down the possibilities of this) red 70s Bottecchia Special bicycle? I asked the current owner for a serial number & he said the only number he saw was 297696 & that he bought it in the mid 70s at a bike shop. Mid 70s Bottecchias I've seen have the air pump on the seat post bar. This one's on the top bar. Looks all original, not repainted, decal with "Campione Del Mondo" has only 1966. If more info is needed, let me know.

Attachments

• 20200704_113620.jpg
    20200704_113620.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 42

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No expert on Botteccha but looks seventies to me, could possibly be a little earlier. What’s the derailleur? Are those brakes Mafac?

:welcome:to the forum

OP
OP
J

ja5838

Thank you for your reply. The derailleurs should be Campagnolo. As for the brakes, Universal? I don't have any good pictures of those but got the names from looking at a 70s Bottecchia bicycle specification. I hope this helps.

I'm getting the bike later today so I don't have any good pictures of it yet.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was hoping for a model of Campag derailleur or a pic. Likewise with the brakes. If they are Universal that would likely date the bike to no later than mid seventies, I think the more popular Mafacs were produced until after then.

OP
OP
J

ja5838

Thanks for the help. I'm not good at dating bikes other than Schwinn & Raleigh. Bottecchias are a whole nother world. Lol But I like the challenge.

Top Bottom