Mid range tablet recommendation .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Shame you're not considering an iPad as it's really the best tablet you can buy. Android OS is optimised for phones and you'll find many apps just won't work properly.
iOS is just such a joy and a breeze to use. We have a Tab A and a iPad Air and the Air is just light years ahead of the A.
I think you can get the basic iPad for about £250 and it will do all you want and very intuitive to use. Well worth it imho.
Agree 100%. Got a Samsung Galaxy of some sort some years back and it was always slow and flakey. After a couple of years of limited use (apps kept failing) was recommended to get an iPad. One of the best bits of computer tech I have ever bought. Just works, and is easy to use.

Can I just respectfully ask to stay on topic. My OP is looking for recommendations that specifically do not include apple products.
So far i'm finding the replies useful and I'd appreciate not having the waters muddied.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

I've been using a Lynx tablet with Windows 10 on it for a couple of years, detachable keyboard and 11" screen; it's got WiFi, Bluetooth, and an SD card slot.

Unless I need to type up a lot of text in one go I hardly ever use my laptop now.

I suppose it all depends on what you want it for, a mini computer, or something to replicate the apps on your phone?

Probably a bigger screened mobile.
Mostly for Internet access, video streaming etc.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you do get a Tab A and want a cheap case, I can recommend the one that I got (LINK). It was so cheap that I thought it would be a load of crap which would fall apart in a week or two, but I am very pleased with it. It can be used as a tablet stand and is good for that in landscape mode. I wouldn't really trust it in portrait mode though - it is too easy to knock over. The price has gone up slightly but is still only £4.25.

The one thing I'd criticise on the Tab A is that it has just 2 speakers in it and they are at what would be the top or bottom in portrait mode. If you watch videos in landscape then both channels of sound come from either the left or the right. Some tablets have 4 speakers so they can do stereo properly whichever way the tablet is orientated.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Samsung have recently committed to 3 major Android upgrades on their mid to high end tablets and phones. So 3 years. But their security updates would likely be about 5 or so years. My old galaxy note tablet from 2014 i think, got its last update in 2019. I believe they consider something like a Galaxy Tab s6 lite to be mid range. Not sure about the Tab A...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My son has a Lenovo, bought about 3 years ago for £100. No problems whatsoever. He's filled it up with games and it still works well, he also uses it for online learning.

Conversely I've used gen2 and 3 iPads before and hated them. I don't like Apple products for the same reasons you have given, but in my experience they've not been any better than a £100 Lenovo

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Looks a bit too spendy for my needs.
I noted your max budget indication in an earlier post (a max of about half of the £700+ top models iirc) along with your saying that budget wasn't a great factor. These are way cheaper than that c£350 max, so you might want to be explicit about this to avoid other inappropriate suggestions - unless you are perhaps looking at the Yoga laptops in error?

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

I noted your max budget indication in an earlier post (a max of about half of the £700+ top models iirc) along with your saying that budget wasn't a great factor. These are way cheaper than that c£350 max, so you might want to be explicit about this to avoid other inappropriate suggestions - unless you are perhaps looking at the Yoga laptops in error?

Yes my Google fu must be of kilter. It was showing 600-700 quids. I'll have another gander.

Top Bottom