Middleton in Teesdale

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Got a cottage for the 2nd week in February, I know it will be cold, but there are several reservoirs in the area, does anyone know if there are MTB trails around them? Or anywhere close for off-road riding

Gareth C

Veteran
https://gcrapper.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/high-cup/ (if it's cold and crisp, the longer loop via Dufton (and even longer, Garrigill) is good: https://gcrapper.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/disaster-strikes/).

Swaledale is close too, or Hamsterley forest (access via Eggleston-Stanhope road - parking by the roadside at the old mine road into the back of the forest).

Slioch

Guru
If you like spooky places, take a wander late afternoon up to Kirkcarrion which is a mile to the SW of Middleton, and wait till it gets dark.
Gives me the serious heebiejeebies that place!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It looks good, but I think it only goes SE from Middleton to Barnard Castle, but not NW to Alston?
I was only taking that from the PDF I know the area at all, but looking on the map, the mention of Barnard Castle to Alston I now understand was where the original railway went from/to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On my OS map I can see the disused railway line from Barnard Castle as far as Middleton but there is no sign of it onwards to Alston. They would have had to dig a 30 km long tunnel through a massive hill to continue it NW.

Anyway, it looks a great area for cycling (and walking). I've never been there but it is on my list of places to visit one day.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Yeah the track up to Gregs hut on Cross Fell is worth an outing if your bike is suitable. A walk along the Tees to the pub at Langdon Beck then bus back is worth an outing.
The bike might be suitable but I suspect that the engine won't cope :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I know it's on-road, but it's worth hauling yourself over the Langdon Beck to St John's Chapel road just to say you've cycled the (joint) highest road pass in England, the one with a special cyclists' warning sign about adverse weather conditions at the bottom! I did it on a Cannondale MTB and I'm ashamed to say that I used 24 x 30 most of the way up, with a very cold headwind. I also did it on a Brompton and had to stop for a rest. A lot.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm ashamed to say that I used 24 x 30 most of the way up, with a very cold headwind.
I don't get ashamed, if I can't do it I can't do it, we may consider that one in the car ^_^

Top Bottom