Middleton in Teesdale

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Got a cottage for the 2nd week in February, I know it will be cold, but there are several reservoirs in the area, does anyone know if there are MTB trails around them? Or anywhere close for off-road riding

Gareth C

Veteran
https://gcrapper.wordpress.com/2017/05/07/high-cup/ (if it's cold and crisp, the longer loop via Dufton (and even longer, Garrigill) is good: https://gcrapper.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/disaster-strikes/).

Swaledale is close too, or Hamsterley forest (access via Eggleston-Stanhope road - parking by the roadside at the old mine road into the back of the forest).

Slioch

Guru
If you like spooky places, take a wander late afternoon up to Kirkcarrion which is a mile to the SW of Middleton, and wait till it gets dark.
Gives me the serious heebiejeebies that place!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

It looks good, but I think it only goes SE from Middleton to Barnard Castle, but not NW to Alston?
I was only taking that from the PDF I know the area at all, but looking on the map, the mention of Barnard Castle to Alston I now understand was where the original railway went from/to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On my OS map I can see the disused railway line from Barnard Castle as far as Middleton but there is no sign of it onwards to Alston. They would have had to dig a 30 km long tunnel through a massive hill to continue it NW.

Anyway, it looks a great area for cycling (and walking). I've never been there but it is on my list of places to visit one day.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yeah the track up to Gregs hut on Cross Fell is worth an outing if your bike is suitable. A walk along the Tees to the pub at Langdon Beck then bus back is worth an outing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Yeah the track up to Gregs hut on Cross Fell is worth an outing if your bike is suitable. A walk along the Tees to the pub at Langdon Beck then bus back is worth an outing.
The bike might be suitable but I suspect that the engine won't cope :laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I know it's on-road, but it's worth hauling yourself over the Langdon Beck to St John's Chapel road just to say you've cycled the (joint) highest road pass in England, the one with a special cyclists' warning sign about adverse weather conditions at the bottom! I did it on a Cannondale MTB and I'm ashamed to say that I used 24 x 30 most of the way up, with a very cold headwind. I also did it on a Brompton and had to stop for a rest. A lot.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm ashamed to say that I used 24 x 30 most of the way up, with a very cold headwind.
I don't get ashamed, if I can't do it I can't do it, we may consider that one in the car ^_^

Top Bottom