Midge advice in Southern Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thinkmalawi

Hi I'm planning a charity group ride from London to Glasgow in early August 2023, and we're investigating routes. We may use some Lejog routes along our way so I hope no one minds me posting here!

I know that the west is more midge-prone than the East.

Has anyone cycled in the borders/Dumfriesshire/Lanarkshire at that time of year who can advise on areas to avoid, whether it's best to stick to the Eastern side of Scotland or had any other advice? I understand the midges would mainly be a problem when we stop, so if we can stop in suitable midge-free spots then would going through some midge country be bearable?

Slick

Guru
Midges are a pain in the erse, but the man-eating seagoing brutes rarely venture South of Glasgow. Early August should be good but stay away from thick vegetation and cary some of Avons skin so Soft, which is pretty good. The east coast does have less of them, but I wouldn't chose a route based on the midge score of any particular area. :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
These guys provide the best forecast around. I echo @Slick 's 'ye'r ok south of Clyde-Forth'.
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
Skin-so-Soft effect was an accident: Smidge is designed.
For your route, here's the London-Edinburgh-London route which heads due north up to Yorkshire before cutting across the Pennines over Yad Moss to Gretna. The simple boring route from there parallels the M74. I would head via/close to Dumfries, after Gretna, and approach Glasgow from the south (rather than SE). Very much depends on your touring style.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you keep cycling they are no problem !
Ha - if you CAN keep cycling! I encountered some nasty hungry Yorkshire midges one evening...

I got a puncture next to a stream at dusk last night. I can now report that glasses give no protection to your eyes whatsoever when you are not actually moving! I ended up with several midges in my eyes after they found their way round my glasses (as well as numerous bites on my arms and legs). :laugh:

Helpful hint: If you puncture somewhere where midges are waiting to pounce, walk your bike to somewhere windier and drier where you will only get half eaten while carrying out the repair!

Petrichorwheels

Midges are a pain in the erse, but the man-eating seagoing brutes rarely venture South of Glasgow. Early August should be good but stay away from thick vegetation and cary some of Avons skin so Soft, which is pretty good. The east coast does have less of them, but I wouldn't chose a route based on the midge score of any particular area. :okay:

can you point me at a handy source of this Skin So Soft? Though Avon is a common brand I have never seen any of the stuff.

Top Bottom