Midweek doner kebab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Food threads are normally quite pretentious I find.

I get my lamb from Steve in Chirk.

Did ye aye??

He happens to be the butcher down the road. I shop locally. This isn't Guardianista "I took the new Bentley out for a spin to hand source the Mersea oysters only eighty miles away, before nipping up the coast for some samphire."

I walked for about 200 yards and bought some mince. Steve was on holiday and Tracey got the mince.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Apologies, that was rude, and I hate being rude by mistake. I have been round a doner kebab factory and it is a bit industrial. Shoulder gets boned out for shish. Breast gets boned out to make the flat bits that give structure. Everything else gets minced and formed into patties that are assembled with the bits of breast.

I didn't think you were being rude at all. It was a decent point about how the traditional stuff can be made. No offence taken at all. I get rather more irritated with those who think that anything more than dog food on a Weetabix, is pretentious.

I didn't think you were being rude at all. It was a decent point about how the traditional stuff can be made. No offence taken at all. I get rather more irritated with those who think that anything more than dog food on a Weetabix, is pretentious.
250?cb=20080103011358

Tim Hall

You seem to have missed how long and how hot, cooking-wise. OK,"low heat" but I like to work with numbers. And the fat running out bit, is that after/partway through cooking?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You seem to have missed how long and how hot, cooking-wise. OK,"low heat" but I like to work with numbers. And the fat running out bit, is that after/partway through cooking?
An hour or so in the low heat bit of the Aga, I suspect. And he's forgotten to say that you need to sit it in a roasting tin to catch the fat. And that the fat will do quite nicely for the roast veg at the weekend.

Levo-Lon

Guru
So how was it Patrick?

It sound suspiciously like meatloaf this donner kebab.

And Celery. Are you actually supposed to eat celery. I just leave it to rot next to the aubergines, both, the comedians of the veg world.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
It sound suspiciously like meatloaf this donner kebab.

And Celery. Are you actually supposed to eat celery. I just leave it to rot next to the aubergines, both the comedians of the veg world.

It is basically meatloaf, which why I was surprised at some here thinking it is exotic. However, to someone accustomed to a Turkey Twizzler in a bog roll, it might be. Celery salt is a dried condiment and is not the same as trying to add fresh celery. Personally, I'd never cook with celery, but I love it with stilton and biscuits. You're very lucky to be able to grow aubergines. They are impossible here unless grown in the greenhouse, and even then it's marginal getting them to ripen.

It is basically meatloaf, which why I was surprised at some here thinking it is exotic. However, to someone accustomed to a Turkey Twizzler in a bog roll, it might be. Celery salt is a dried condiment and is not the same as trying to add fresh celery. Personally, I'd never cook with celery, but I love it with stilton and biscuits. You're very lucky to be able to grow aubergines. They are impossible here unless grown in the greenhouse, and even then it's marginal getting them to ripen.
I'll stick celery salt on my list of new things to try then.

I don't grow them. I just buy them with best intentions but can never quite bring myself to cook them and in the blink of an eye, they rot while I'm thinking about it.

Top Bottom