Mig welding evening class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just signed up for the above, with no particular goal in mind, albeit maybe a vintage car at some future point. To be honest gas welding might have been more versitile, particularly for brazing - maybe a a DIY bike frame, but wasn't offered.

First lesson quite pleased, last week's was utter fiasco, welding the job to the table and weld totally missing where it was supposed to be. Main problem was I just couldn't see

Getting somewhere yesterday for lesson 3. Bought myself a "reactive" mask so I can actually see, well, after I removed the protective film after an hour anyway

Moderately pleased with this in 3mm mild steel.

4B0AC310-F4E5-4282-87FB-11EDE2AA310D.jpeg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Potentially useful skill, that. 👍

Jameshow

Veteran
Just signed up for the above, with no particular goal in mind, albeit maybe a vintage car at some future point. To be honest gas welding might have been more versitile, particularly for brazing - maybe a a DIY bike frame, but wasn't offered.

First lesson quite pleased, last week's was utter fiasco, welding the job to the table and weld totally missing where it was supposed to be. Main problem was I just couldn't see

Getting somewhere yesterday for lesson 3. Bought myself a "reactive" mask so I can actually see, well, after I removed the protective film after an hour anyway

View attachment 708721

Seen worse "pro" welding!

richardfm

Veteran

View attachment 708721

You need to it with a hammer and see where it breaks.
It looks to me as though you have laid a lot of welding wire on top the plates, without much penetration, especially the horizontal plate.
But as you say, it's only lesson three, it will improve.
Once you have finished the course you can discover the joys of lying under a rusty Land Rover welding overhead.

Adam4868

Guru
It's ok that weld, practice.Buy yourself a mig welder,maybe a gasless one to practice with.Decent pair of welding gloves and you'll soon get in the swing of it.
Personally speaking Mig is my least favourite area of welding,it's ok for sheetmetal and car repairs but for any sort of plate,thicker steel I'd always use arc.Find I have more control over it.
Made these railings during the start of lockdown.Well I had time on my hands 😁
IMG_20230202_165723036~2.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran

View attachment 708721

Gently envious. Don't know quite why or what is use the skill for.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Gently envious. Don't know quite why or what is use the skill for.

He can make bikes from cheese gaspipe now, yay! 😆

richardfm

Veteran
It's ok that weld, practice.Buy yourself a mig welder,maybe a gasless one to practice with.Decent pair of welding gloves and you'll soon get in the swing of it.
Personally speaking Mig is my least favourite area of welding,it's ok for sheetmetal and car repairs but for any sort of plate,thicker steel I'd always use arc.Find I have more control over it.
Made these railings during the start of lockdown.Well I had time on my hands 😁
View attachment 708739

Don't get a gasless one and don't get the cheapest, least powerful one. Both will dissapoint.

Adam4868

Guru
Don't get a gasless one and don't get the cheapest, least powerful one. Both will dissapoint.
Ok without turning this into a debate on best welder out there I don't agree.As a amateur just starting out a cheap gassless will do just fine.Its about practicing and making mistakes.Cheaper to set up and go so to speak.Would I take my gasless out on site on a windy day....yes a lot easier to cart around with no bottle,for a bit of home welding on the car or such definitely.
Think buying a Pinarello Dogma as your first bike...do you really need it 😁

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Our instructor was rather pooey about those too. I'm instinctively suspicious about something dishonestly named, as it ain't a MIG at all, even if the do, sort of work.

Top Bottom