Mig welding evening class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You need to it with a hammer and see where it breaks.
It looks to me as though you have laid a lot of welding wire on top the plates, without much penetration, especially the horizontal plate.
But as you say, it's only lesson three, it will improve.
Once you have finished the course you can discover the joys of lying under a rusty Land Rover welding overhead.

Or squished up in the footwell of a Mini*

I learned to mig weld at Brunel Uni's motor club back in the day when I was an undergrad mech eng student. Haven't welded for years, but it's a nice thing to know how to do.

* because you're a 4ft 11 female as opposed to a 6ft bloke...

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You need to it with a hammer and see where it breaks.
It looks to me as though you have laid a lot of welding wire on top the plates, without much penetration, especially the horizontal plate.
But as you say, it's only lesson three, it will improve.
Once you have finished the course you can discover the joys of lying under a rusty Land Rover welding overhead.

I can see what you mean, as it looks a bit like the cold whatsit fault, but it did have burniness underneath so I think it's gone through OK.

Hey ho, was only lesson three, and lesson two was a fiasco with some of my welds entirely on the table missing the job completely. The better ones merely welded the job to the table

richardfm

Veteran
I can see what you mean, as it looks a bit like the cold whatsit fault, but it did have burniness underneath so I think it's gone through OK.

Hey ho, was only lesson three, and lesson two was a fiasco with some of my welds entirely on the table missing the job completely. The better ones merely welded the job to the table

I was serious about hitting it with a hammer. That's how we tested our welds when I was learning.
Some welds we would cut through to examine the penetration.

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was serious about hitting it with a hammer. That's how we tested our welds when I was learning.
Some welds we would cut through to examine the penetration.

That's what the instructor said they do on the "level 2" course, which I may well sign up for.

I think I'd be pretty confident with welding up a gate l, staircase, or bracket even where I'm at now. I'd need a lot more practice before doing a pressure vessel or heavy lifting tackle. Not tried thin metal yet - eg car body steel, which has its own challenges

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
That's what the instructor said they do on the "level 2" course, which I may well sign up for.

I think I'd be pretty confident with welding up a gate l, staircase, or bracket even where I'm at now. I'd need a lot more practice before doing a pressure vessel or heavy lifting tackle. Not tried thin metal yet - eg car body steel, which has its own challenges
After the 5mm plate, my instructor brought to the class some body panels from an expired FIAT for me to practice on. His view was if I could weld that, I should be able to cope with 1970s British metal.

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
After the 5mm plate, my instructor brought to the class some body panels from an expired FIAT for me to practice on. His view was if I could weld that, I should be able to cope with 1970s British metal.

Our instructor asked if anyone in the group had thin sheet metal offcuts they could bring in for us to play with. He only had mild steel 3mm+ stuff on hand.

I'm anticipating that the challenge is avoidance of blasting holes in the thin stuff.

We may be able to have a play with TIG too later on

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm anticipating that the challenge is avoidance of blasting holes in the thin stuff.

We may be able to have a play with TIG to later on
Correct, which is why he brought in old FIAT panels.
If you anticipate joining thin sheets by overlapping, I would ask if you can be shown plug welding. Your instructor's skills may save you time when you need to do it.
I was also shown and practiced oxyacetylene welding, but I found that scary.

OP
OP
P

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This YouTube channel is excellent. His style of presenting takes a bit of getting used to but he's so thorough. I never thought I'd sit through a 15 minute video of various low viscosity oils being tested and compared, but there's so much useful content.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHyZhYOOKU&t=721s

Thanks - have subscribed to the channel and will have a look. For me the limitation would be the biggest one that will run off a 13 amp plug. I doubt I'm going to do a heftier 240v spur, and unless I happen to move somewhere with 3 phase 13 amp is likely the future limit too.

richardfm

Veteran
Thanks - have subscribed to the channel and will have a look. For me the limitation would be the biggest one that will run off a 13 amp plug. I doubt I'm going to do a heftier 240v spur, and unless I happen to move somewhere with 3 phase 13 amp is likely the future limit too.

I had one of these when I had the rusty Land Rover. It was a good machine for everything I needed.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/135te-turbo-mig-welder/

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Most of my welding was on lifting gear with a process called atomic hydrogen welding, an arc with a hydorgen shield.

Top Bottom